Motorised valve to fit 90mm OD pipe

The water tower is 200m away from the garden tank. A bit too far to run the overflow pipe!

Not necessarily. presumably the pump feeds both so some pipework is obviously already in place! Which is closest to the pump?

Tony Glazier said:
Where is this exactly? Perhaps I could come and have a look during my holiday in August?

Tony

Sponsored Links
I would imagine the pump is at the bore hole and pumps the water up to the tower, then its gravity to the house

black BAND not black steel :eek:

refers to ther gauge as i said

black iron is the term ;)

Sponsored Links
its 3" Dave but heavy :)

if it helps? originally i was confused with the OD dimension 90mm?

so anyway checking my tables reveals it as 3" black band. 88.9mm OD

as close to 90mm OD as your going to get?

I would imagine the pump is at the bore hole and pumps the water up to the tower, then its gravity to the house

But I still wonder where the garden tank located any why an overflow cannot feed it 200 m away from somewhere!

I still dont know what country this is in!

Tony

there I was imagining that it was one of these!

afri_Lubango-03.jpg

That IS in Africa! But he has still not told us where abouts in Africa!

Tony

black BAND not black steel :eek:

refers to ther gauge as i said

Yes, I know.
It's plausible that only heavy grade pipe would have been available as galvanized, which is what should have been used. If so, that would explain the gauge of the pipe and tells us that the OP shouldn't be welding it.

I doubt that black steel pipe would have lasted more than a few years if used with well water. If it is back pipe, he'd know from the rust in the water and should be planning on getting some MDPE to replace it.

The pipe does appear to be galvanised - it's not rusting anyway. I didn't realise you couldn't weld it. Why not? Can't you just grind off the plating? That's going to be a real pain, as the only other option is to get a threaded section to fit the existing joint, and who knows what thread pitch they've used?
I only measured it roughly with a tape. It's about 90mm OD and 80mm bore, and the thread pitch is about 2.25mm. But, is there any guarantee it's a British type anyway?

It's in Zambia, to be more specific, but can't see why it matters :?: It's too far to pop in and have a look.....

The pump is at the bottom of the property, the pipe runs underground all the way to the water tower, about 600m. About 400m along this pipe there is a T underground (I assume) as a pipe rises out of the ground and fills the garden tank. This spur pipe has a valve in it so that when you open it the garden tank fills, and there is not enough pressure for the water to reach the tower. When you close the valve all the water goes to the tower. If I was to fit a small valve in the spur pipe, there would propbably be too much pressure in the pipe even with the valve open, and the tower would still get filled.
It's way too much work to fit a float valve to the tower, there's no inlet pipe to attach it to, as the inlet just ends at a hole in the tank wall - it's all welded and galvanised.
It's also way too much work, and bloody ugly, to run a pipe 200m from the tower to the garden tank!

It's in Zambia, to be more specific, but can't see why it matters :?: It's too far to pop in and have a look.....

Not that far as I am expecting to visit SA and Zim ( depending on the outcome of the runoff ) during August.

Tony

Galv as I remember gives of cyanide when welding it, which isnt too healthy ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back