Motorists to be fined for driving in cycle lanes

all sounds good to me, I like optional taxation.

one point of order though, it is not illegal for cyclists to ride side by side, after all occupants of cars are allowed to sit side by side!

It's also easier to overtake if they are side by side, especially if a large group of them are out, and they don't group together.

Sponsored Links
Speeding fines are voluntary. You can choose not to be fined.

In the same way that I have never been sent to prison for bank robbery.
But have you ever chosen to break the law?

And then gotten away with it?

Sponsored Links
I had a guy tail gate me this morning just as I approached a 30mph zone from a 60mph zone. He had to stay behind due to traffic coming from the other direction but as we rounded a left hand bend he made a go for it as the road ahead was clear. As he almost came level with me, (exceeding the speed limit of 30mph), he spotted the camera van parked up in the distance and suddenly dropped back behind me until we reached the main road. Once we got onto it he quickly shot off past me. I wish he had overtaken me earlier though before he had seen the camera van. I'm sure they would have clocked him.
Ethical/moral question. You see a camera van on the opposite side of the road in a position to catch oncoming offenders. After you have passed the van do warn other drivers by flashing your headlights?

What annoys me to a large extent is the fact we're not all playing by the same rules. e.g. if you dare to drive at 25mph (and god forbid 20mph) through a 20 zone, it's almost guaranteed you'll have someone up your ar5e and create a tailback. However if you increase your speed to say 30-35mph to keep them happy, will they share the cost of any financial penalty and/or try to get the penalty points transferred from your licence to theirs if you get clocked by a speed camera?

I suspect not.

This is what bugs me about tailgaters (safety issues aside) they're either trying to intimidate you to speed up and/or they're thick and oblivious to what would happen of you had to brake suddenly.

The thing to do, is slow down to what ever speed makes their tailgating safe.

Ethical/moral question. You see a camera van on the opposite side of the road in a position to catch oncoming offenders. After you have passed the van do warn other drivers by flashing your headlights?

You can yourself get done for that, but I suppose the camera is there to work as a deterrence, so all you are doing is helping to deter speeding.

Everyone has, including you.
Exactly...

Everyone has broken the 'law'...

But what you have to ask yourself is that is the 'law' you have broken 'just' in your own mind?

And are you ok with accepting the consequences?

I break the 'law' most days, and don't give a f*ck!

But if the principle is important enough I'll argue my case...

I break the 'law' most days, and don't give a f*ck!

But if the principle is important enough I'll argue my case...
if you’ve broken the law, there’s no case to argue unless you think the laws shouldn’t apply to you.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't done this in the past, however it's not something I make a point of doing.

I have to admit that I used to warn other motorists of the presence of the van.

When you sit down & deep think it . . . .

Now I no longer warn other motorists.

I still get upset when I see one. I'm still firmly in the belief that they are there to generate revenue & have very little to do with road safety, but even if it isn't reflected in the statistics I think they go a long way to calming down the moronic drivers amongst us.

Same here. Done it in the past then one day realised if they didn't get caught they would carry on and one day cause/have an accident which could have serious consequences for someone innocent. These days if someone goes flying past me I usually think/mutter to myself, "Well don't expect first aid off me if I find you in a ditch down the road." but I know I will stop and aid in all probability.

The thing to do, is slow down to what ever speed makes their tailgating safe.
The problem is, is their a safe tailgating speed? Even a shunt at 15mph can have serious consequences for someone with a physical disability.

Sponsored Links
Back