Good luck with it all. Sounds like a hell of a lot of work. I had rising damp in my hall walls (all interior walls with a concrete floor). I stripped off all the plaster to 1.2 metres high including the skirting boards. I injected with Dryzone damp proofing treatment along the bottom two courses of brickwork. Quite straightforward to do yourself with a good drill and a set of knee pads. You can buy the chemical solution in standard silicone type size tubes and use a standard tube gun.

Then I painted the bare brick walls with KA tanking slurry (like a grey china clay based powder that you mix yourself to the consistency of thick custard (a drill and a mixing attachment very useful). I gave the walls two coats. One coat vertical brush strokes and the second horizontal brush strokes to ensure complete coverage. Then I fastened plastic wall membrane to the walls (I found 2mm stud sheets easier to use than 3mm stud.....not quite as rigid) with the recommended fixings (like plastic mushrooms....you drill a hole through the plastic membrane into the wall, apply some silicone in and around the hole, then tap the fixing into the hole). The hardest part is making the plastic membrane completely flat and rigid so you need hundreds of the fixings. I was averaging a fixing every 15cm to make sure the membrane wasn't bulging out or loose in any way.

I used bitumen tape on the joins between different pieces of membrane and to join the sheets to the concrete floor. I got a plasterer friend of mine to plaster over. No damp at all and I did the job three years ago. Maybe some overkill in my method but I wanted it to beat the damp.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back