Mountfield Lawn Mower Problem!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help!!

I was mowing my lawn this evening and whilst mowing I went over a raised drain. It hit the blade and the engine cut out. Now the engine wont start and it just puffs out smoke!!

Is there anyone that knows what has happened?

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
if it's direct drive off the crankshaft, you've likely bent something. it has compression & turns over alright? smoke would suggest a spark at least....

splash feed lubed, aircooled, single cylinder mower engines are about as basic as it gets...

i won't ask if you've checked the petrol :)

Its dead easy to bend Briggs crankshafts, and its likely that this has happened.
However, it shouldn't prevent the engine from starting - it will only vibrate like hell when it does!
Take the plug out, crank the engine over and give it another go with the cleaned plug back in.
Tip: If you want to look under the cutting deck, only tip the machine back on its handles - do not tip it on its side. If you do, the air cleaner element will get soaked in oil.
John :)

Sponsored Links
open the air filter cover and see if the air filter (sponge) is soaked in oil, if so then squeeze it out and check the oil level is still ok. I had a mountfield when I was a nipper and used to rag it around the estate to earn pocket money on the weekends and when she got smokey then that is what i used to have to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back