Mounting a condensing boiler onto 35mm thermaline board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm currently renovating our new house. Most external walls are getting 35mm Thermaline Plaserboard on them inc the kitchen. The boiler will be going on the wall in the kitchen and I wondered if anyone had any advice about mounting a boiler onto a wall with thermaline board on it. Are there special rawlplug that should be used.
I've not yet discussed this properly with the plumber or plasterer. All I've said to the plasterer is that I plan to do this and he seemed to think it would be fine. I'd have thought the screws would need to go into the brick work though and obviously that will be nearly 40mm deep once the board is mounted.
Has anyone done this or have any advice for me?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Its a problem for the gas registered installer to deal with.

I use four window fixings 100 mm long to deal with this situation.

Since the fixings put the wall finish into compression then its important that there is not a gap behind the wall material or that will be pulled back towards the wall.

In an extreme case or where plasterboard has been fixed to battons then I would cut out a section and fill it with plaster or cement.

Tony Glazier

Cheers Tony,

I've just had a chat with the plasterer and he feels that it won't be a problem. He also said that in that area he can ensure the plasterboard won't get pulled back when the boiler get's mounted on.

Alternatively the RGI can chop in some timber to mount the boil bracket on.

I have recently had to do this where there was 100mm specified no the outer wall.

Sponsored Links
i usually just fit ply behind the boiler, different courses for different horses. as long as it dont fall off the wall you'll be fine :D

i usually just fit ply behind the boiler, different courses for different horses. as long as it dont fall off the wall you'll be fine :D

Very true. My main concern was it falling off the wall. When we moved into the house the boiler had been fitted onto the wall but the wall had two layers of tiles on it. British Gas (who installed the boiler in 2007 before I bought the house) hadn't noticed this and had used small rawlplugs. This had caused all the tiles to pop off the wall and the boiler was holding onto the wall by the outlet vent and it's pipes!

Very true. My main concern was it falling off the wall. When we moved into the house the boiler had been fitted onto the wall but the wall had two layers of tiles on it. British Gas (who installed the boiler in 2007 before I bought the house) hadn't noticed this and had used small rawlplugs. This had caused all the tiles to pop off the wall and the boiler was holding onto the wall by the outlet vent and it's pipes!
yeh thats the BG quality for you :D looking after your world :p

British Gas (who installed the boiler in 2007 before I bought the house) hadn't noticed this and had used small rawlplugs. This had caused all the tiles to pop off the wall and the boiler was holding onto the wall by the outlet vent and it's pipes!

Did you not take this up with BG?

Its also reportable to CORGI ( now Gas Safe ) because a falling boiler can rupture the gas pipe and cause a leak or explosion.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back