Mounting box earth connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please Help.

I'm currently rewiring some sockets ( converting a single to a double and adding a 3 Amp fused switched spur for a oven hood) and have noticed that the wiring instructions state to connect an earth cable to the metal mounting box. But having checked all the mounting boxes currently in place none have this connection. Is it necessary or can i get away without it?

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
Strictly speaking, it is not needed as long as the box has one fixed lug to which the accessory is secured. If your box has two adjustable lugs, then you should fit an earth link to the box.

Having said that, many fit a link anyway.

Are they very old?

Some have a little galvanised screw (not a fixing screw) rather than the brass stud usually seen today.

Hmm. Do you mean none have an earth wire attached to them, or that none have a connection point?

Sponsored Links
The sockets are new stainless steel and are screwed directly to the mounting box using the screws (galvanised) at either side of the accessory. All the mains cables are connected to the earth terminal on the accessory but the instructions state to have a connection between this terminal and the mounting box.

Ive just noticed that on my light fittings the earth cable from the mains is connected to the mounting box and not to the terminal on the accessory. Is this ok?

+++++++++++
Moderator's note:
Welcome to the forums
Please familarise yourself with //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19448

I have deleted your duplicate post

Mod Rupert
++++++++++

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back