Mounting fencing to a brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I have a very low wall on my patio which on the other side of is a steep drop, to make this safer I am wanting to mount a series of fence panels shown on the picture, but at the moment I have no idea how to to it and have bought all the panels! I am also unsure if the bricks look reliable enough to hold it as they look quite worn

I have included photos of the wall and panels in question so if anyone has any advice at all I would be very grateful!

Thanks in advance

Katy

Sponsored Links
I would buy some 3" x 3" posts and fix them to the front of the wall and leave the posts long enough so that they accommodate the screening trellis.

I can not see how these are likely to make it any safer though. Mischievous kids will just climb up 'em. A drunk may even fall through it. :eek:

You would be better with iron railings or even a roll of razor wire. :cool:

I appeciate your comments, drunks are the main cause of concern!!! The Panels are actually a lot studier than the general trellis so think it will probbably be ok. Your advice is good and seems a good way to do it, but what would I use to secure the posts to the inside of the wall?

Appreciate all your help
Cheers

Katy

Fix them with expanding bolts. Don't fix to the top course of bricks, but at least one course down.

Sponsored Links
Katy - as soon as you erect a fence folks will assume it's OK to lean against it .... ahhhhh, splat. So to prevent to splat part the fence (ballustrade) need to be made from stout timbers or better, from steel. You can then cloak this steel (or timber) structure with your trellis.

Fix the structure to the inside face of the wall with long bolts going all the way through to the other side; fit speader plates or really big washers. This assumes the wall is in good condition otherwise after the ahhhh, splat will come rumbling and squashing sounds.

Something like these would be neater, but it depends on how robust the wall is

p41913_l.jpg

The wall looks a bit weathered and needs some repointing in any case.

But that looks like one hell of a drop to have lived with for such a long time :eek:

hi,before you have anything festened to your wall,it is worth having the wall made safe 1st,as it is full of mold and weeds growing tells me it is full of moisture,this will cause problems on its own,you are just adding to it,also throwing money away.

In giving it some thought, you both are probably right my panel/ trelllis is probably not adequate after all, the idea of a structure within it is good. I will definately look into it.

Thanks for all your comments, you may have saved lifes!

Yes the drop is pretty scary, its not as bad as it looks as the house infront is half below ground but could still do you a lot of damage. We bought the house last year and have been so unsure about the condition of the wall and how to make it safer we haven't been able to do anything about it. I think as MhTiler commented my first priority is getting my wall checked out. Is a builder the best person to do this, as I wouldn't have a clue whether or not it is at all structually sound! In the mean time I will invest in some mattresses to place on the other side!

I really wasn't taking the mick, it was a genuine mistake I misread it and thought nothing of it because people always have strange user names. As soon as i realised I edited it. Sorry if I have offended you, I fully appreciate people taking time out to offer advice and am very grateful.

Sorry again

regards Katy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back