Mounting sink onto plastered wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks . I`m about to put a new sink in my bathroom . Its a half pedestal type , so needs fixing securely to the wall . Ive got some meaty looking fisher bolts with it , requiring a 14mm drill . The wall will be tiled first , and is of brick , and plasterboard construction
My only concern is , the wall has been dot n dabbed for the plasterboard , and theres a hollow cavity of around 15mm wide behind where I want to drill . Basically , what is my best option , here . Should I cut out a section of plasterboard , and fill it , or risk mounting the sink with the gap in the wall . And if I am going to fill the gap , whats the best filler to use .

Thanks , Colin .

Sponsored Links
Colin,

You can fit to your wall no probs.

What you nedd to ensure is that the plug for the fischer bolt goes right down and sits flush against the brick wall, not the tiles or plasterboard.

Rico

thats quite a bit of bolt to lose, isn,t it ? 15mm gap plus 12mm p/bd. i put up a semi ped in my loo and i thought i was right on the limit with my fischer bolt.took one off not long after and it was a wall anchor that accepted 10 or 12mm rod and i thought that was better.cut the rod to length and the fischer plastic washer still fitted as well

Sponsored Links
Had a similiar problem when it came to fitting the sink in our bathroom. Studded wall and lath and plaster and a sink unit that was wall mounted with a granite top and of course non of the studs lined up with the fixing points of the unit.
My solution here was to remove the lath and plaster and fix a piece of waterproof ply to the studs. I was then able to fix with screws which makes for a much more flexiable approach as adjustments etc are possible.
You could do the same, the ply isn't visible afterwards and even if you cut it slightly wrong any overshoot would be covered by the tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back