Move electric meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move my electric meter and was wondering if an electrician can move it or does it have to be moved by the electricity supplier.

Sponsored Links
It depends how far the meter needs moving. I recently had my electric meter moved, and my electrician said if the distance had been just a couple of feet, with sufficient play in the main cable in length already attached, he could do it, but as my wall was being demolished, and the meter needed moving about 6 feet, and new cable added, the energy company had to come, and the power network too, and the whole job cost about £1500. If you get a new meter (mine insisted, as I still had a very old one) do make sure it gets registered by the electricity company with the relevant body (whose name I forget). Mine didn't, as they went bust a couple of weeks after fitting the new meter. It caused me a nightmare lasting 8 or 9 months, with Scottish Power (who I'd been transferred to by the gov) insisting the old meter was still there, and using a fictitious reading they insisted was an 'actual' reading. I kept pointing out, it didn't even exist any more, so couldn't possibly be 'actual'. I sent photos of new meter repeatedly, spent many many hours on the phone to new people every time. I changed to Octopus as soon as I could, who did register the new meter, but were only allowed to do it from the day they took over, though they did fight SP on my behalf. Finally, instead of a £400 electric bill I knew I didn't owe SP, they finally refunded me £18 and gave me £50 compensation. So make sure you take photos of your meter before disconnection, showing it's reading, and get any new meter registered!!! :)

It depends how far the meter needs moving. I recently had my electric meter moved, and my electrician said if the distance had been just a couple of feet, with sufficient play in the main cable in length already attached, he could do it, but as my wall was being demolished, and the meter needed moving about 6 feet, and new cable added, the energy company had to come, and the power network too, and the whole job cost about £1500. If you get a new meter (mine insisted, as I still had a very old one) do make sure it gets registered by the electricity company with the relevant body (whose name I forget). Mine didn't, as they went bust a couple of weeks after fitting the new meter. It caused me a nightmare lasting 8 or 9 months, with Scottish Power (who I'd been transferred to by the gov) insisting the old meter was still there, and using a fictitious reading they insisted was an 'actual' reading. I kept pointing out, it didn't even exist any more, so couldn't possibly be 'actual'. I sent photos of new meter repeatedly, spent many many hours on the phone to new people every time. I changed to Octopus as soon as I could, who did register the new meter, but were only allowed to do it from the day they took over, though they did fight SP on my behalf. Finally, instead of a £400 electric bill I knew I didn't owe SP, they finally refunded me £18 and gave me £50 compensation. So make sure you take photos of your meter before disconnection, showing it's reading, and get any new meter registered!!! :)

No it does not depend on how far it needs moving and it is illegal for your or any electrician to move it at all, no mater how small the distance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
No it does depend on how far it needs moving and it is illegal for your or any electrician to move it at all, no mater how small the distance.
Hi Harry, thanks for quick reply, guessing you mean "does not" rather than does, from the rest of your sentence? I was just going on what my electrician said? In the event, due to distance of several feet, mine was all done properly, except for the lack of registration.

Hi Harry, thanks for quick reply, guessing you mean "does not" rather than does, from the rest of your sentence? I was just going on what my electrician said? In the event, due to distance of several feet, mine was all done properly, except for the lack of registration.

Yes, now corrected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back