Moving meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I need to move my electric meter outside the house.
Once I have sent off the application form how long will it take before they start the work and it is a day job? Does my electricity supplier need to do the work?

Sponsored Links
There are way too many variables to give yo a definitive answer. This can only be determined once the DNO has carried out a site survey. They will then tell you what ground works you may need to carry out before the work is done.

The complexity of the work, and time needed, will depend on the route of the existing cable and how that relates to the new meter position.

Only the DNO can do this work, not the people that you pay your electricty bill!

Note that, in addition, you will need an electrician to run new cables from the new meter position to the consumer unit. Additional fuse protection may be need if this distance is more than 3 metres.
So you'll need to get an electrician lined up too!

There are way too many variables to give yo a definitive answer. This can only be determined once the DNO has carried out a site survey. They will then tell you what ground works you may need to carry out before the work is done.

The complexity of the work, and time needed, will depend on the route of the existing cable and how that relates to the new meter position.

Only the DNO can do this work, not the people that you pay your electricty bill!

Note that, in addition, you will need an electrician to run new cables from the new meter position to the consumer unit. Additional fuse protection may be need if this distance is more than 3 metres.
So you'll need to get an electrician lined up too!

sorry for being ignorantbut what is the DNO

Sponsored Links
More than you will be expecting I should think! Make sure your sitting down when you read the quote! It could take several weeks to have the work done yes.

It all depends on how complex the job is but £3K should hopefully be somewhere it the region.

You'll need the DNO to move the supply cable and cutout, the MOP to move the meter and an electrician to reconnect your installation to the new supply position.

If the cut and/or main fuse are elderly or not in good condition then the relocation may be done free of charge. The DNO like the main fuse to be outside the house so mention this.

Very often a relocation of a very old supply is in fact dealt with as a new supply rather than try and re-use the old cable. If the DNO take this approach then you may save some money by digging the trench for the new cable rather than paying them to dig it.

My new supply cost just over £ 900, it would have been a lot more ( circa £ 3000 ) had the joint to the street cable not been under a grass verge. The extra £ 2000 was for among other things traffic management and re-statement of the road surface .

The DNO will quote and ask you to pay up front. Then they will almost certainly send a surveyor to ensure all the details are correct, It was this surveyor who suggested putting the joint under the grass verge instead of under the tarmac area as it would save me a "few pennies". They then did the work and refunded the £ 2000 The cost to me was an extra metre of trench and duct.

If the cut and/or main fuse are elderly or not in good condition then the relocation may be done free of charge. The DNO like the main fuse to be outside the house so mention this.

Very often a relocation of a very old supply is in fact dealt with as a new supply rather than try and re-use the old cable. If the DNO take this approach then you may save some money by digging the trench for the new cable rather than paying them to dig it.

My new supply cost just over £ 900, it would have been a lot more ( circa £ 3000 ) had the joint to the street cable not been under a grass verge. The extra £ 2000 was for among other things traffic management and re-statement of the road surface .

The DNO will quote and ask you to pay up front. Then they will almost certainly send a surveyor to ensure all the details are correct, It was this surveyor who suggested putting the joint under the grass verge instead of under the tarmac area as it would save me a "few pennies". They then did the work and refunded the £ 2000 The cost to me was an extra metre of trench and duct.

Is it true that if the meter is very old they move it for free, and mine has no 100 amperes device installed.

They'll do everything they can to avoid doing anything for free. Don't take it personally, it's just business, and you'd do the same.

Photos of your existing incomer/fuse/meter might be useful. If you want to use the site's own photo library provision you'll find the instructions here: //www.diynot.com/network/DIYnot/albums/67/180

You need to do all 11 steps.

Or in a fraction of the time use an image hosting site such as http://www.postimage.org

When you get a quote, ask them to tell you which items are "contestable" - i.e. what you can do yourself, or have another contractor do, such as ground works, DNOs are not noted for competitive charges for these.

Are you planning on having your fuse box/consumer unit moved as well?

If so, you need your own electrician to do that.

Are you planning on having your fuse box/consumer unit moved as well? ... If so, you need your own electrician to do that.
As has already been said, even if the CU is not being moved, the OP would probably still need an electrician to connect the existing CU to the relocated meter (unless the meter person likes coffee and biscuits more than rules :) ).

Kind Regards, John

In my experience the DNO boys are really helpful and will go the extra mile to help you out. And then you've got the MOPs

In my experience the DNO boys are really helpful and will go the extra mile to help you out. And then you've got the MOPs
Yes. In my (very limited) experience of interacting with these people, the DNO guys (I've yet to meet a DNO 'gal'!) have always been very helpful, and the same with some MOPs - but I have encountered some 'less helpful' MOPs (with pockets full of 'rule books') in my time!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back