Moving a CCTV monitor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been asked to move just the CCTV monitor & controls from one office to another about 15 meters away. It will be plugged into another 230V socket but as far as the camera cables go, can I just extend them & what cable is used. Is it just coax?

I'm assuming each camera will have its own cable plugged into the control box

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Yes, you can extend the cabling (15m won't pose a problem). You should be looking to use RG59 coax (75ohm). I would need more details on the 'control' side of the install to give any info on camera connections, etc.
There is a good chance you are using a remote switcher (xNo. camera inputs/1 x output to monitor). This can be extended in the same way as the monitor just make sure you use the correct BNC through connectors. Alternatively, make up a joint box ensuring you make good connections on the shielding and centre core (I would solder connections and use connections blocks/crimps) and seal the box. CCTV can give you all sorts of problems if you don't make good isolated connections (ghosting, smearing, tearing of the image). Take your time and make sure you have the same quality image on all cameras, when you've extended, as you had with the original images).
Andy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back