Moving a door in a steel framed stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to move an internal door a couple of foot and it was all pretty straight forward with no electrics or plumbing involved. However, having pulled away the plasterboard, I can see that the wall itself has a steel frame, and as far as I can tell the steel goes all the way up to the floor above (I live in a block of flats).

The steel itself is pretty flimsy, and the wall is definitely not a supporting wall, but since I've never worked with steel I have no idea if I can cut through it to move the door or if I need some sort of special support put in.

Can anyone tell me if I can just work with it as it were wood, or do I need to get someone in to take a look? Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Treat the metal as wood. Most difficult bit will be fixing the foot of the framing as the steel sections might have been nailed in with a shot gun before the plasterboard was fitted. You might also need a screwdriver with a 2' reach!
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back