Moving a fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing my ACS so please dont think Im tampering. I have to do a job for my course but I need some advice.
The customer has a radiant convector gas fire fixed to the wall. The problem is that is not central to the chimney breast. It is about 3 inches off centre. It is a lined chimney with a metal back box. The box cannot be moved to the centre without pulling it out and disturbing the liner and then widening the builders opening. Would it be possible to get a new closure plate and make a new letter box opening 3 inches off centre on the new plate to compensate. Plus the air relief too or should that stay central. Then fix the fire. The new closure plate would be in the same place, just the openings moved across. Instructions does not give dimensions on how far spigot must be from side of metal box. Hope I have explained this ok.
Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Leave it as it is.

If the customer wishes to do major alterations let them.

The sooner that open flued appliances are banned the better anyway in my view.

i can't see much of a problem doing this as in reality as long as the spigot is not touching the side of the box, go ahead and do it there will be no problem,....................UNTIL there is a problem with it then everyone and there granny will condemn you for altering the design of an approved appliance configiration and you won't have a leg to stand on, LEAVE WELL ALONE, a good lesson to learn as you are going through your ACS is IF you are going to assume anything, assume the worst about what has previously been done, it amazes me the number of people who don't bother checking things fully "because they have been in for years and must be OK" the fact they have been in for years mean nothing, assume you are the best engineer out there and check everything properly and fully expecting to find problems and you will be amazed what you find.
i don't mean to be pessimistic about gas but it is quite scary what you will find but it is a great trade so work hard be conciensious and good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back