Moving a gas meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just to make clear, before any Mod gets agitated, this is NOT about DIY gas work, and I am not one of those people who says "I am going to use a tradesman, but I just want to understand what's involved so I don't get taken for a ride" when what they mean is "I am going to do this myself but I know I'd better not say that".

Anyway - Q.

I'm not talking about wholesale relocation, just a bit of "adjustment" - does the flexible pipe before the meter allow a bit of movement?

screenshot_870.jpg

The old iron pipe immediately to the right of the meter is uncapped, and must be the old one which used to serve the fireplaces, the cooker point etc, so if I were to cut it off level with the floor, the meter would be able to move back and to the right, go up against the wall, and not be quite such a PITA in the under-stairs cupboard.

Clearly the rigid pipework on my side would need to be re-made, but that's no biggie as we're going to be getting someone in to move our gas boiler.

Would an RGI be prepared to rotate it anti-clockwise slightly, so that it moves back on the RHS by about 10cm, and a bit to the right to clear the service fuse??

Photo from another angle:

screenshot_872.jpg

OOI - is the angled plate meant to be used to fix the meter to or against a wall? As it is, the it's just sitting on the floor, not restrained in any way.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
can't really see a prob, could do with moving a bit thou to the right

Just make sure your registered engineer has his meters on his card, it needs a floor bracket fixed to the floor. your gas pipework wants to be rerouted so it does not cross the electrical stuff.

Then it is rather academic. But yes on most counts.
Thanks.

Having removed the panelling under the staircase and made it into a door to give better access to the space, this really is a case of "I wonder if when we get the boiler moved the guy could shuffle the meter back a bit?"

I'd have the damned thing relocated outside if SGN weren't so rapacious with their charges.

Just make sure your registered engineer has his meters on his card,
OK

it needs a floor bracket fixed to the floor.
Well it was North Thames Gas (as was) who just plonked it where it is, about 30 years ago...

your gas pipework wants to be rerouted so it does not cross the electrical stuff.
Do you mean this pipework, which was installed by an RGI?

screenshot_873.jpg

:mad:

Distance between the gas/electrics and it would look neater bracketed to the wall, with the anaconda not stretching across the meter.

Not sure that would buy me anything, apart from making it harder to read.
gasservice is only giving advice , he does not know what going on around the meter with photos you've provided space availability.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back