Moving a lintel higher up for garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We want to convert our garage into a room and install windows.

It should be straightforward but the only thing giving us a bit of problems is the existing lintel needs to be moved up about 10 cm.

Can I just use strong boys and move the lintel up? Are lintels reusable? The width of the opening is the same

Sponsored Links
Once the material above the lintel is removed it can be lifted, i.e. re-used as long as the new loads are within the lintels' capacity and are similar in make-up.

What sort of lintel are we talking about, what is the span and what is it doing exactly.

Once the material above the lintel is removed it can be lifted, i.e. re-used as long as the new loads are within the lintels' capacity and are similar in make-up.

What sort of lintel are we talking about, what is the span and what is it doing exactly.

Thanks

It is holding a balcony which people can walk on. The lintel is at the top of the garage opening. I want to move it slightly higher

Its a car width wide - About 1.5 metres I d say

The loads will be identical

Does BC need to get involved?

Sponsored Links
What sort of lintel are we talking about?

Steel beam, concrete, pressed steel?

This is notifiable work, yes.

If you garage opening is only 1.5m wide then a garage for a car - it certainly ain't!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back