Moving a radiator..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.. this is my first post, so please be nice!!

I just wanted some advice on moving a radiator, which will involve altering pipework etc.

I have an open system (tank in loft) - think i got that right...??

I need to remove the existing radiator from the bathroom and install a new one on the opposite wall. I have read some posts suggesting to use a pipe freezer so that I would not have to drain the system.

However, is this method recommended as I will be working on this area for a few days?

Would it be an idea to freeze the pipes where I am working, remove the radiator and valves, cap off the pipes and then refreeze at a later point when I intend to alter the pipe work? Although I would only have a short time to do this I believe?

Have also heard of a way of draining the water from the pipes near the radiator, and not have to drain the whole system.. but not too sure about this method

Would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks in advance..

Sponsored Links
Drain the whole system and then you (probably) can't go wrong. All other methods can end in a flood.

I have to confess now that I am not a plumber but I have done what you are suggesting so I thought I would let you know what I think!

I have used freezer spray in the past but it only lasts 45mins so should only be used for small jobs. Also 1can = 1 45min session and they cost £10 each. Therefore to freeze, cap off, move pipe work, re-freeze will cost you 20quid.
However draining the system is relativly easy and costs nothing so I would suggest doing this. There are plently of websites describing how to do it so just take a look on google. This is the one I used.... http://www.diyfixit.co.uk/diy/centralheating/draining/draining.html. Obvioulsy while the system is drained you'll have no hot water or hot radiators.

Once you have done this you'll be free to take as long as you need to move the pipework. For this I would recomend push-fit fittings and if you choose to use plastic pipe then make sure you use the metal inserts at each end (http://www.wickes.co.uk/Polyplumb/Polyplumb-Pipe-Inserts/invt/424999).

My advice would be to only do plumbing work mid week during the day. That way if you end up with water gushing over your floor you can get hold of a plumber easily!

I also had a bit of a problem re-filling my system after I had drained it. Basically there were air leaks somewhere which meant that it would not fill up completly. If you experience the same problem them simply attach a hose to your drain plug on the bottom radiator, and fill the system up from an outside tap. I.e. fill the system from the bottom up rather than the top down.

I hope all this makes sense and that I haven't given you some really bad advice!

Thanks to you both for your quick replies!

I do admit that draining the whole system seems like the best option.. but I was advised by a professional plumber that it was easier to drain the water from the pipework surrounding the radiator i want to remove..and therefore i wouldnt need to drain the whole system and this also reduces the risk of air locks.... cant quite remember his step by step guide and cant get hold of him!

im planning to do this when there are very few people in the house... and during the day, when no one is home.. so minimal distruption!!

would it be possible if i drained the whole system... moved the pipework to where i wanted... fitted the radiator valves... and then refilled the system without attaching the new radiator (need to tile the wall in the bathroom before fitting new radiator)

Also..any advice on refilling the system without getting air locks?

Thanks again!!

Sponsored Links
brilliant! thanks for all the info...

will give it a go..

no doubt will be back on here for any other help i need!

:D

Drain down to below rad to be worked on (if upstairs the no need to drain whole house). Note: read up on draining down depending what type of system you have.

Remove rad.

Cap ends of pipe (if 15mm I would use iso valves, if 10mm then would ask a friend)

Re-fill system so heating back on

Have a break/do tiling/fit rad elsewhere and get pipe run ready

Drain down again

Connect pipes up

Re-fill (and add new inhibitor)

thanks goldspoon... that does sound better and easier...
just one question though... how would i know when to stop.. ie when the upstairs radiators are empty and the downstairs ones are ok?

found a very helpful site thanks to chris about draining the system... thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back