Moving a room thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a central heating room thermostat located in an alcove where I would like to put some bookcases. I therefore want to relocate the thermostat to another wall. It is supplied by 3 core and earth cable that is chased into the wall.

Can I extend this cable by means of a junction box and new cable to the new wall?

What type of junction box should be used? I want it to be fairly flush to the wall so that the bookcases go right back.

Thanks for any help or advise.

Sponsored Links
why not run a complete new cable from your ch timer to new stat position?

or get a radio stat?

You now have to notify the local building control for work on a heating control system that is not only replacement. If you extend the wire it is not only replacement. If the cable is replaced by a longer bit that's ok, nobody said the length had to be the same, and if you then move the stat without disconnecting (or even if you do) I expect that's ok. (But who's going to know?)

I was looking for the quick and easy option I guess. I'll have to see if the existing wire is free and can be pulled back through to the timer. If so this will be the neater job.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Recently I installed a radio room thermostat to replace my old cabled one.
First of all I identified the cable in the wiring center, and reran this to the radio receiver which I installed nearby. Then took the old thermostat down off the wall and filled the holes. The radio thermostat can then be placed anywhere you like. I made mine portable so that I can move it to any room I like. I reckon any competent DIYer could do this.
Mine works fine.

I did initially try to replace the whole cable but only managed to pull through about 6 inches ofthe old cable before I could not free up any more.

I have therfore followed your suggestion Pushfit, and purchased a wireless thermostat for just under £40.

Have decided to get someone in to fit it as I have uncovered some very dodgy looking wiring in the process. Several junction boxes backed onto each other! Best left to someone who knows what it should all look like I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back