Moving and installing VERY heavy patio door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yet again, I have not thought this through!!! :D

Ordered two patio doors and two windows, triple glazed, timber frame, and then found out that the heaviest of these is 230kg, and about 3m by 2m! The mechanical offload truck can't get into me so I am probably going to collect by hiring a dropside cab and getting the factory to drop the pallet on the back, and if I can get one with a tail lift I should be able to use that as a bridge, that will help with the first problem, which is getting it up the ~1m height difference between driveway and the front of the house. My plan is to take each unit off the pallet individually, and carry one at a time to the rear of the house, as the only access is down a side path about 1m wide. I am hoping that I will be able to lift out the sliding section and move this separately, which would cut the weight of the heaviest section down to say 130kg-ish.

As I can't get a hold of any Kryptonite I will obviously getting help to do this, but I don't have a lot of able bodied people I can call on. My brother will be there, and we have moved an old cast iron piano between us before, which was probably around 250kg, but a Piano can be set down and doesn't have the tipping risk. Suspect this will need some more bodies, at very least to stand at each side to prevent it tipping. Also thought of trying to rig up a dolly of some sort.

Wondered if any of you have experience moving a door like this, or something similar, and have any tips or tricks, or thoughts on how many bodies required!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi There

I'd post a picture or two of where you got to install to give people a better idea of the best method. Also you not been drinking your Iron Bru laddy.

Hire an engine hoist?

Hydraulics and levers are your friend

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
I'd post a picture or two of where you got to install to give people a better idea of the best method.

Driveway - a I mentioned, I am planning on reversing right up to the bottom of steps, then using the tail lift as a bridge across to raised area.
upload_2019-10-18_13-43-25.png

Once its on the path I may be able to wheel it around with some sort of dolly, can take gate right off the wall if need be, but width not really the issue.
upload_2019-10-18_13-46-9.png

Its a bit further on than this now, but gives an idea of the space they will need to be lifted into. Wall has been built back up to slightly higher than the height of the slab to receive the windows and leave enough for insulation and floor covering. Plan to leave 2cm at the top, and there is a good bit of space at the sides that will be built back out.
upload_2019-10-18_13-49-49.png

Hire an engine hoist?

Hydraulics and levers are your friend

Nozzle
look into piano dollies. Hire one with large wheels
also lay down plywood or OSB as a surface.
a superlift might help
https://www.hirestation.co.uk/tool-hire/Lifting/Genie-Lift-Hire/WEB69/

The lift is a good idea, I think I looked at these before when trawling through the hire equipment for something that would help, but it would need to be turned sideways to get down the side of the house, and then the length of the lift at the bottom would be too wide to fit.

I looked at something like this - https://www.parrs.co.uk/extra-long-board-panel-trolley-with-4-pneumatic-or-puncture-proof-wheels-cap-400kg-p11335 - but waiting to find out what the width of the bottom of the door will be with the packing piece in place will be.

I can probably get something with wheels to help push it around, but think it will probably need to be lifted from the truck, and into position at the extension. My biggest worry is getting it off the truck to be honest and the risk of it tipping at that point as there is nothing to rest it against or hold it up straight.

Sorry- don't know
But if you Google the company you could chat to someone?

A 4 wheel piano dolly like this one:

https://www.phoenixsuppliesonline.c...ng-trolley-truck-dolly-maximum-550kg-capacity

I used one many times to move joinery frames around.
And concrete floor beams.

Use 1 only and set slightly it off centre -its more controllable.
With one dolly you can push in a straight line, then stop and swivel around to change angle.

If the frame is timber can you screw some 4 x 2 studwork 'handles' either side -the external part of the frame is not seen as it will be against the brickwork.

Have timber offcuts around like bearers to sit frame or glass on.
Have some rags or bits of foam, even celetex for when you want to lean against a wall.

Do not move glass if wet, its really slippery -I dropped a big conservatory dg unit once, it just slipped.

If you get anything like a dolly, use some pipe -110mm soil pipe might work or short scaffold pole offcuts.

What you are moving is well doable, 3 people would be better, but you should manage ok.

Sorry- don't know
But if you Google the company you could chat to someone?
Yes, I emailed them earlier on, no response yet, was just curious if you had any direct experience. Looks like a good option, but will see what they say and what the cost and availability is.

A 4 wheel piano dolly like this one:

https://www.phoenixsuppliesonline.c...ng-trolley-truck-dolly-maximum-550kg-capacity

I used one many times to move joinery frames around.
And concrete floor beams.

Use 1 only and set slightly it off centre -its more controllable.
With one dolly you can push in a straight line, then stop and swivel around to change angle.

If the frame is timber can you screw some 4 x 2 studwork 'handles' either side -the external part of the frame is not seen as it will be against the brickwork.

Have timber offcuts around like bearers to sit frame or glass on.
Have some rags or bits of foam, even celetex for when you want to lean against a wall.

Do not move glass if wet, its really slippery -I dropped a big conservatory dg unit once, it just slipped.

If you get anything like a dolly, use some pipe -110mm soil pipe might work or short scaffold pole offcuts.

What you are moving is well doable, 3 people would be better, but you should manage ok.

Thanks Notch, some good tips there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back