Moving boiler requires longer flue.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having my boiler moved this week. It was suppose to be today, but it's been bumped to tomorrow. Probably a blessing, as we overlooked the fact it's going to require a longer flue as the boiler is now to be mounted on a stand-off. I need to buy one today, or order for Tuesday delivery.

I've been looking online and prices vary wildly. I bought the stand-off kit from the Plumb Centre and I was thinking of using them again as I could order today, for delivery tomorrow, but their prices are a little on the high side. Vokera list 'Graham' as suppliers and I have one close by, but their website doesn't have prices on it. :unsure:

The boiler currently sits on an external wall, in a disused chimney. It is to be moved out of this chimney, up and to the left as you look at the wall from the outside. See picture.

View media item 63949
Anyway, I'm rambling. I wanted to ask about extension kits vs full kits. (The latter being more expensive.)

The existing flue is going to be less than a couple of inches too short (due to stand-off). Presumably I can buy the extension (cheaper) and it can be used in conjunction with the existing components, e.g. the 90-bend, the bit on the end of the flue pipe (black bit in picture)? I won't actually be extending the flue as such, but actually replacing it.

Or do I need the full, horizontal kit? (More ££.)

Every job I've done in this new house (moved in May) has ended up costing more than initially thought due to 'issues' like this. :(

Sponsored Links
The boiler currently sits on an external wall, in a disused chimney. It is to be moved out of this chimney, up and to the left as you look at the wall from the outside. See picture.

Surely if its being moved to the left then it will not have to go through the thickened part of the wall containing the chimney?

If so then it will be shorter?

The standard flue is usually quite long and will usually be more than adequate in most cases.

Tony

If the chimney wall is thicker then there may be a chance it'll fit when moved to the thinner wall, despite the stand-off kit. It's difficult to know how the thicknesses differ. It could come down to an inch and that's too hard (for me) to judge by eye. So the problem is not wanting to find myself in the situation where it doesn't fit and I haven't got the parts.

I contacted Vokera and they can't offer specific advice without seeing the installation, understandably. But they did go as far as saying '..you will likely need a new horizontal terminal if the current terminal has been cut to suit the wall. Just putting an extension on may not be feasible...'

I don't know if an extension requires the use of the original horizontal flue, or if it can be used to replace the entire pipe. If not the latter, then I will require a full kit.

i would expect you need a new terminal. If you use an extension i would assume the joint would be inside the wall?

Sponsored Links
Just for amusement and in keeping with the forum, shouldnt the guy thats moving the boiler be having some input into the flue length?

I presume he is GS reg?

Just for amusement and in keeping with the forum, shouldnt the guy thats moving the boiler be having some input into the flue length?

I presume he is GS reg?

I think we all know the answer to that one

I'm having my boiler moved this week. It was suppose to be today, but it's been bumped to tomorrow. Probably a blessing, as we overlooked the fact it's going to require a longer flue as the boiler is now to be mounted on a stand-off. I need to buy one today, or order for Tuesday delivery.

(

Well today is what was tomorrow yesterday! So what is going on?

Surely the gas reg engineer is controlling the job and what is needed?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back