Country
United Kingdom
Fitting new kitchen units
Can I move the cooker isolator socket
Need to drop it down about 50cm
Can I put a joint in that cooker cable

Sponsored Links
If done properly, yes.

All of the cable run in the wall needs to be in a 'safe zone' if less than 50mm from the wall surface.

Also, how do you intend to extend the cable?

The join needs to be maintenance free, which means no screw-down connectors.

One option may be to do the join above the ceiling, or inside a kitchen wall unit, if easy.

Last edited:
How would the joint be made so to be maintenance free ?? Soldered ??

could I use a surface mounted joint/ connection accessible for maintenance purposes and have it accessible in the new wall unit which will be covering the cooker switches existing position
The connection not being buried in the
wall but fully accessible

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, you can do the joint in the new wall unit in an enclosure such as a pattress and blanking plate, and use screw down connector blocks or wagos.

The connectors most likely need to be rated at 30amp or above.

Soldering is not a good idea for DIYers.

Rather than having it buried in the wall in the pattress making further work could I use a standard high rated electric connrction box , surface mounted on the wall accessible through an opening in the back of the new wall unit

I was intending you bring the cables through a small hole in the back of the unit, then screw the plastic surface mount pattress to the back of the wall unit.

This should look tidy enough.

Alternatively, cut a square hole in the back of the unit the size of a single metal knockout box, fit the cupboard with the cables coming through, fit the metal box to the wall, do the joint, fit blank plate. This way it's nice and flush and neat and not in the least bulky.

Brilliant many thanks
much appreciated with prompt reply this time of night
Will get on with it tomorrow
Being unsure was holding up continuing to fit the cupboard

How would they do it properly?

You can't just tell someone to solder a cable and leave it like that.

Perhaps you could kindly put into words how to solder a (6mm2) cable that is partly buried in a wall?

Found this modern method on that site

They would be ideal if they contained a lot more solder.

Used to use this https://www.exothermic-welding.com/ system for brazing/welding copper cable to re-bar, and they claim the usa wiring code state it is the only acceptable method. Anyone with some spare time - ie everyone - should invent a mini version for small cable jointing. This time next year yule be a millionaire - see what I did there.:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back