New Cooker Install - Socket Distance?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm not installing anything myself, but just interested in the correct way of doing things :)

My current cooker is a free-standing type, and there is a cooker socket on the wall about a meter away from the cooker itself, and behind the cooker is the electrical point to hard wire a cooker in to (although my current one is gas, so not used).

I am getting a new kitchen, with a new built in electric oven, and electric hob. The new position of the Hob/Oven is going to be exactly where the cooker socket on the wall. Does this need to be moved? Or legally can you have a socket near the hob?

Also, as the oven and hob will be hard wired in, how do you go about doing that? Can the T+E just sit behind the new units, and wire it in to the outlet approx 1m away? Or again, does the cooker outlet plate need to move as well?

So after all that, can I leave the cooker socket and outlet plate where they are, or do they need moving 1m either way?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am getting a new kitchen, with a new built in electric oven, and electric hob. The new position of the Hob/Oven is going to be exactly where the cooker socket on the wall. Does this need to be moved? Or legally can you have a socket near the hob?
The suggestion in the Electricians guide to the building regulations is that the cooker switch is at least 300mm from the hob left or right.
Also, as the oven and hob will be hard wired in, how do you go about doing that? Can the T+E just sit behind the new units, and wire it in to the outlet approx 1m away? Or again, does the cooker outlet plate need to move as well?
A cable, normally 6mm, runs down from the cooker switch to either a cooker connection unit or just a straight connection to the cooker.

The length of the cable from the cooker switch to the cooker connection should be set at 2m max. From the cooker connection unit to the oven you add another two metres to allow the cooker to be slid out and in for maintenance.

Dont forget moving the cooker switch etc will fall under Part P so you need to inform the Building Control office and pay their fee before you start the work - or hire an electrician.

electric oven and electric hob - i would check your cable and MCB size is adequate for both!

Sponsored Links
Personally i would run 10.m t&e to the cooker switch , which would future proof all furthur connections

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back