Moving day. New twist...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend moved yesterday and having a bad feeling about the vendor and difficulties with last minute problems and changed accessories (Mostly plumbing) in previous move and the associated hassle of getting it sorted out, He added a clause into the contract.

The clause was simple; he was to have time to inspect the empty property to ensure it was 'as expected' before his funds were handed over. The inspection was to include representatives of the estate agents and both solicitors along with his plumber and electrician.

He had been in the property on 3 previous occasions wearing a GoPro and taken over a hundred photos. There were also some tens of the estate agents photos and video.

Although not specified: gold placed fittings in the ensuites had been replaced with white plastic or chrome, the electrical accessories had mostly been changed as had the curtain poles, stainless steel garden low level bollards changed to black and silver plastic.

The electric charging point, garage door opener, wireless heating controls and fitted kitchen appliances (listed) gone.

The inspection was booked for 11am the property was empty just before noon the final agreement at 4.30pm was £23K reduction of the purchase price and vendor had to cover total cost of all parties involved in inspection.

I've been in there doing a couple of essentials, like getting hot water working and wiring in oven and hob.

Sponsored Links
A friend moved yesterday and having a bad feeling about the vendor and difficulties with last minute problems and changed accessories (Mostly plumbing) in previous move and the associated hassle of getting it sorted out, He added a clause into the contract.

The clause was simple; he was to have time to inspect the empty property to ensure it was 'as expected' before his funds were handed over. The inspection was to include representatives of the estate agents and both solicitors along with his plumber and electrician.

He had been in the property on 3 previous occasions wearing a GoPro and taken over a hundred photos. There were also some tens of the estate agents photos and video.

Although not specified: gold placed fittings in the ensuites had been replaced with white plastic or chrome, the electrical accessories had mostly been changed as had the curtain poles, stainless steel garden low level bollards changed to black and silver plastic.

The electric charging point, garage door opener, wireless heating controls and fitted kitchen appliances (listed) gone.

The inspection was booked for 11am the property was empty just before noon the final agreement at 4.30pm was £23K reduction of the purchase price and vendor had to cover total cost of all parties involved in inspection.

I've been in there doing a couple of essentials, like getting hot water working and wiring in oven and hob.

Well done your friend.

So I’m reading this correctly: The clause allowed a 23k reduction because of the changes made, and all other inspection costs were previous owner? If so, that’s genius.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
my reading is that the vendor failed to complete because he did not meet the terms of the sale contract

he is therefore liable to penalties.

the £23k figure plus costs was what the buyer was prepared to agree to.

my reading is that the vendor failed to complete because he did not meet the terms of the sale contract

he is therefore liable to penalties.

the £23k figure plus costs was what the buyer was prepared to agree to.
THat just about sums it up, ironically the most salient piece of evidence considered by the solicitors (And I'm not sure what grade was on site ) was the estate agents and subsequent GoPro videos.
The electrician and plumber came up with estimates to reinstate with new comparable items, plus the cost of missig items such as kitchen appliances etc. to get to the 23K.

Plumber, Electrician and (I've since found out) carpenter/builder and legal reps were to be paid by buyer but written into contract to vendor guilty party if they were found to be required. I haven't seen the actual contract.

I say brilliant.

Well done your friend.

Although how thick must the vendor be, maybe it's one of them that doesn't read the paperwork and just signs away willy nilly.

I guess had the vendor not agreed to the 23k he would have been liable for all costs for those involved in the chain as it would have been their fault the sale fell through.

Did anyone else get a similar notification to this?
1686221211479.png

yes, this morning

Moderator's note

It was triggered by a spam post from overseas at 08:07

Which was then removed at 08:09

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
we did not have info in the contract , but when we completed , and we were held up at the door until 16:30, 1 large removal van and a small van with drivers etc ,,,, while they still moved out - completion was supposed to be at 1.00pm, in a lot of rubbish was left in the garage and garden. Also fittings had been removed and bare wires left on the wall , ceiling etc

I got onto my solicitor and he also managed to get compensation, even though not specific in contract - BUT some of standard house move info covered - I think it was a few grand ..... cost of electrician to make safe , and skip to clear the rubbish ..... delay and cost of removal men - this was in 1991

but a great idea to have specifics in the contract - although with the house moving forms now - you should itemise things that you are removing , even plants in a garden etc

WOW nice one.

when we moved into this house the previous owners had removed all the filament lamps. ok not a big deal but oh so petty. they had tried to remove a fancy shaped mirror over the hand basin but broke it and left it on the floor.

the person you telling us about is a thousand times worse though.

Moderator's note

It was triggered by a spam post from overseas at 08:07

Which was then removed at 08:09
Thank you Mod for your continued safeguarding and support

Reactions: CBW
WOW nice one.

when we moved into this house the previous owners had removed all the filament lamps. ok not a big deal but oh so petty. they had tried to remove a fancy shaped mirror over the hand basin but broke it and left it on the floor.

the person you telling us about is a thousand times worse though.
A work colleague moved house many years ago and found every single electrical accessory missing including the fuse box.

However the wires had been cut very short and it took a lot of effort to reinstate.

Is started with a phone call to me at work begging for help.

It wasn't the first time I'd had something similar but it was the worst.

Another had all the stainless steel accessories replaced with manky old plastic and much of the lighting was wired completely wrong.

A by to let property I looked at had been totally gutted of anything remotely worth anything, even the screws fixing plastic parts in kitchen units and steel pins in plastic hinges.

I've also heard of a whole kitchen being stripped out, right back to plaster/brick, so not even electrics or plumbing remaining. Fortunately the estate agents attended to do the handover to the 'luxury house' of which the kitchen was supposed to be the piesta resistance.

Light bulbs being removed is extremely common but as you say very petty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back