Moving electric meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ahuman

Hello all.

I'm planning on fitting a new dual RCD CU and installing a new dedicated ringmain and low voltage lighting for the kitchen, and have found someone willing to connect, test and sign off my work.They want £200 for this, which I feel is fair.

I would like to move my meter and supply cable to beneath the gas meter, and have the CU above the gas meter so all the services are in the corner of the room and not spread across the wall as they currently are.

I inherited a main fuse with no seals when I bought the house 6 years ago and pulled the fuse a few years back to fit an electric shower and oven, both on RCBO's (see picture).

Because of my old CU, I had to cut the CU tails and fit 100A connectors to take the new RCBO's. I have tied the earth to neutral (recommended by a qualified spark) as there did not seem to be an earth at all !!

Can I just move the wooden meter board (4 screws) , and get longer tails to connect to the new CU, and would the DNO reseal my main fuse without making a fuss about it being moved?

I will be connecting the earth to my incoming water and gas pipes using proper clamps and 10mm cable. Do I also need to clamp (carefully) onto the lead supply cable sheath too?

I will obviously be very careful moving the old lead sheaved supply cable, and will box it in once moved.

Any advice appreciated. I'm having it all checked out before connecting.

Sponsored Links
Any attempt by you to move that board and cable could result in damage to the lead sheath of that cable or internally within the cutout.
This could result in an explosion, fire and/or injury or death to you and/or your family.

it is NOT your cable to move, to move that you MUST contact the DNO and pay them to do it.

Similarly it is up to the DNO if an earth is available from that cable, not you and not any electrician. Though some do it a pipe clamp is not designed for use on a lead sheath and could damage it.

Furthermore
I have tied the earth to neutral (recommended by a qualified spark) as there did not seem to be an earth at all !!

Is totally not permitted and is illegal and has possibly put the lives of you and your family at risk
Any electrician who suggested that is not fit to operate.
The only choice you have is to provide your own TT earthing

I'm having it all checked out before connecting.

Were you thinking an electrician could check any work on DNO equipment, they can't.

Oh and BTW, pulling the cut-out fuse without the correct training and PPE is also highly dangerous

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, I'm not a troll..

I know how fragile lead sheaved cable is, I've worked with it before (telephone cables), which is why I said I'd be very very careful.

Any Idea how much the DNO would charge to move the meter?

I know how fragile lead sheaved cable is, I've worked with it before (telephone cables), which is why I said I'd be very very careful.
Doesn't matter how 'careful' you are - moving it is dangerous and illegal.
If it fails, there will be no warning, no time to get out of the way, no time to avoid serious injury or death.

If you have it moved, the DNO will cut it outside and joint in a new piece. They will not move it because doing do is dangerous.

A few hundred to a lot more. The only way to know is to ask them. They do not charge for quotes, and there is no obligation to have anything done once they provide one.
You can find the correct DNO here: http://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/electricity-distribution-map.html

Other things:
You should already have main bonding to gas and water - these things have been a requirement for decades.
The 'earth' you have connected to the neutral is not permitted and totally unacceptable.
It is not permitted to attach cables to pipes used for gas, water or other services.
You may have found someone willing to 'connect, test and sign off my work', but this is not allowed either.

Yes, and you probably also know that telephone runs at about 50v DC and has a very low operating current.
The incoming mains cable to your house is 230V AC and is only current limited by (possibly) an 800A CPD at the substation. Enough to melt most of the incoming cable - and you'll take out 30% of your neighbour's electricity at the same time.
That is why the DNO guys are highly trained and come well prepared with the proper PPE - even to remove the fuse.

Call your DNO and ask them. There are too many variables to even guess at. Budget enough for a weekend break somewhere.

OK, I get it.. ;)

I won't touch the main cable. :mrgreen: Thanks for the advice, I'd rather not kill myself :)

As far as earthing goes, no there was none. no earth, no bonding to any pipes etc.
I'll speak to the DNO regarding moving the meter. Is it their responsibility to supply an earth?

I'll speak to the DNO regarding moving the meter. Is it their responsibility to supply an earth?

As it stands only for a new supply, if an existing one has an earth they would maintain/repair it.
For a supply without one they are under no obligation, it wouldn't do any harm to ask and if you paid to have the equipment moved they would supply one then if one is available.

Ok sorry, all to often we hear similar kind of stories of people wanting to move meters, cut outs etc etc! Hopefully you realise now it's not something you can do yourself! ;)

Are the tails supplying the two single way consumer units insulated and sheathed cables?

have found someone willing to connect, test and sign off my work.
Is that via you having notified Building Control, and got their agreement that this will ensure compliance with Part P and they will issue a Completion Certificate when done?

DaftPunk, No, they're 10mm single insulated, but they're going once the new CU is installed.

ban-all-sheds, Yes building control will be notified, all work will conform to Part P. The electrician will issue a certificate. I don't think Building control need to inspect if he's registered as being competent.

I must say, what a minefield BC and regs are.. :eek:

flyingsparks, that's OK, looking back it was probably a dumb question.. :oops:

Btw,

If I've got to pay for DNO to shift the cutout and meter, I'll probably have them put in a box outside. Less mess on my inside wall, and easier to read.

I have a feeling they will want to pull in a new cable from the pavement anyway, as it seems to be in duct under the driveway, and I cant see them splicing onto the old cable..

Yes building control will be notified
That has to be done before you start, and they have to agree with you doing the work and the electrician checking it afterwards.

I don't think Building control need to inspect if he's registered as being competent.
I'm doubt they will want to.

I must say, what a minefield BC and regs are
Not really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back