Moving electrical outlets

I knew we'd agree or at least compromise at the end! :D

As you've just said, and I said in my first post, there is something very nasty about any joint within a wall.

It's bad enough having a joint in a floor or ceiling void, but somehow these are more desirable than a joint in a wall.

Op, as I mentioned, try to make the effort to replace cables completely rather than joining in a wall.

Sponsored Links
I knew we'd agree or at least compromise at the end! :D As you've just said, and I said in my first post, there is something very nasty about any joint within a wall.
Quite so. My only point has been that, provided one obeys the rules about safe zones, it's no more nasty in a buried back box than just buried in the wall (or no less nasty just buried in the wall than buried within a back box).
It's bad enough having a joint in a floor or ceiling void, but somehow these are more desirable than a joint in a wall.
Yes, I feel the same - although I'm not sure it's all that rational!

Kind Regards, John

I wish I hadn't read that post.

It's got me thinking about how one would successfully earth the concealed back box while only having two wires in each crimp.

Over to you.

I wish I hadn't read that post.

It's got me thinking about how one would successfully earth the concealed back box while only having two wires in each crimp.

Over to you.

I've just thought of the answer.

(One could leave the new earth wire long, then put a kink in the wire with pliers, then connect this to the earth terminal.)

Is a continuous wire under a concealed screw connection acceptable or not?

Sponsored Links
It's got me thinking about how one would successfully earth the concealed back box while only having two wires in each crimp. Over to you.
Well, apart from the fact that you have subsequently answered your own question, is there actually a need? If the crimps are adequately insulated/sheathed to be buried directly in the wall, is there requirement that 'any metal that happens to be in the vicinity' be earthed? I wouldn't have thought so.
I've just thought of the answer. (One could leave the new earth wire long, then put a kink in the wire with pliers, then connect this to the earth terminal.) Is a continuous wire under a concealed screw connection acceptable or not?
I don't see why not - the only regulations relate to concealed joints, don't they?

Kind Regards, John

Hmmmm. I suppose, as you say, a well insulated cable wouldn't necessarily need the back box to be earthed, but aren't we supposed to earth metal conduit where singles or twin and earth pass?

Another thought, what 'advantage' is there in leaving an old metal back box in the wall where a cable gets jointed?

Hmmmm. I suppose, as you say, a well insulated cable wouldn't necessarily need the back box to be earthed, but aren't we supposed to earth metal conduit where singles or twin and earth pass?
Only, as far as I am aware, if the metal constitutes required 'earthed metal protection' for the cable (which wouldn't be required for RCD-protected T+E in a safe zone).
Another thought, what 'advantage' is there in leaving an old metal back box in the wall where a cable gets jointed?
Not much, apart from the absence of the effort of removing it, and perhaps a bit less 'making good'.

However, as I've said, for me this is all moot - I wouldn't want a crimped joint buried in a wall, whether in a back box or not.

Kind Regards, John

Hi, i would rewire all the sockets. It's safer and faster and a plus when you sell ……

Regards,

DS
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back