Moving electricity supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am filling in the application form for moving my current supply from a room which is fairly central to the house to an external viewing box on the gable (which is actually much closer to where the supply comes in).

There are a number of questions I need to understand the answer to before proceeding and I was hoping one or two of you clever folk can help.

Firstly I have to tell them whether I want over 20Kva or not. I don't intend having any unusual loads (at least not initially but who knows about the future) and so I assume I should stick with 20Kva. Its a big house with some outbuildings that will have power etc so is 20Kva likely to be enough or should I increase while I have got the chance - assume 3 phase is overkill?

If it helps I have a 100A fuse at the meter and I could post pictures if necessary.

Secondly, I want them to move one of the poles that brings the supply in as it will be in the way of where I would like the drive. I assume I should just mark this up on the plan as there is nowhere specifically on the form to detail this?

I need an MPAN number but it looks like I should be able to get this from my electricity supplier.

The rest looks straightforward unless there are any other things I should take into account??

Heating is running on oil, no large motors or large welding equipment (maybe an arc welder now and then), possibly may want to get an induction hob (or possibly an AGA) but other than that fairly standard requirements other than the supplies required to the various outbuildings.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

D

Sponsored Links
Instead of having the post relocated you might be able to change to an under ground service from one of the poles that does not need to be moved.

If you dig the trench and install a duct ( with draw cord ) from the post to the meter location the DNO can pull their service cable in. If you relaying the drive the trench can be dug at the same time.

Removing a pole may mean the pole feeding it has to have a new anchor wire to stop it being pulled over and that might be where the driveway is going to be.

Instead of having the post relocated you might be able to change to an under ground service from one of the poles that does not need to be moved.

If you dig the trench and install a duct ( with draw cord ) from the post to the meter location the DNO can pull their service cable in. If you relaying the drive the trench can be dug at the same time.

Removing a pole may mean the pole feeding it has to have a new anchor wire to stop it being pulled over and that might be where the driveway is going to be.

That would work as there are 2 posts in my garden, one with a transformer on and the one closest to the house (the one I want to ideally remove). It would be easy to dig across to the second post and lay a duct and it would also be easier to then take the supplies to the outbuildings underground from the new meter position (its all overhead at present, at least it was but I have ripped it out).

Thanks

D

Thoughts on the sizing question anyone?

Thanks

D

Sponsored Links
20 kW should be ample for a domestic residence. That would be an 80 or 100 amp main fuse in the supply. That will safely allow considerably more than 20 kW for a short time so the occasional short term over load will not blow it. But prolonged over load is not reccomended.

The arc welder should be mentioned on the application form.

If the transformer on the pole is serving only your property then 20 kW may be the limit that transformer can supply. Asking for more may mean the transformer has to be replaced for your requirements, that might add to the cost.

Thanks BG.

Transformer is 11,000 volts I think and is only supplying my property.

Met likely just go with the 20kva if it keeps the cost down. Don't mind paying a bit more if it made sense to do so whilst I am at it but I am reasonably unlikely to need it in the foreseeable!

D

Are you likely to need an eletric vehicle charging point? These usually need up to 16A for extended periods, or 32A for shorter times.

Are you likely to need an eletric vehicle charging point? These usually need up to 16A for extended periods, or 32A for shorter times.

Can't foresee that at this stage but who knows in the future? Will probably get a hot tub at some point as Mrs D would like one but not sure beyond that really. It's powering the outbuildings that gives me a but a bit of a concern as one may become a granny flat.

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back