Moving floor!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, and thanks in advance.

I have laid the whole of my house (well the dry areas) with solid wood flooring, and everything is fine. In fact it is so fine that a friend saw it and asked if I would lay one in his front room. Being a kind and generous soul, I agreed.

The floor was laid a couple of months ago. The wood was given a week to acclimatise. The sub floor is asphalt. All the floors I had laid before were either onto concrete or wood, so being unsure I chose the safe route and put down a dpm in case it was needed. I then used floormaster self adhesive underlay to install the planks onto. This is exactly the same method as I have used throughout my house. Expansion gaps of 10mm all round were maintained.

All of this is to try establish I have had experience of laying these floors, and I did it properly (within the context of my experience).

My friend asked me to have a look at it a couple of days ago because he said there had been some movement. I expected some of the planks might have moved a couple of mm- the underlay does seem to allow this sometimes. When I got there I was shocked to see one plank had been pushed about 20mm out of alignment, and the "fault line" could be traced back about 8 rows of planks. One of the boards appears to have cupped significantly, and looks as if it is/was under a lot of tension.

I have no idea what could have caused it. He does have a new baby, and said they had been bathing the baby on a rug on the affected area, but I know my own floor has coped perfectly with the usual family spillages. If the rug had been damp for a week or so I can't see it would have caused that much movement- but maybe it has.

Does anyone have any ideas what might have caused it? Perhaps as importantly how can we fix it- please remember this underlay is a pig to remove! I feel awful and responsible for my friends floor!

Sponsored Links
No one got any ideas?

I am happy to supply any more information you might need to try sort it out.

Sadly, I think you know both the reason (expansion due to moisture) and the solution (lift and replace), unless you are very, very lucky and it flattens when it has dried out (one in a million possibility if you wet it first and let it soak, and put heavy flat weights on it while it dries out)

Can that amount of moisture make that much difference? I can't think of anything else that could have caused it, but it really has ruined the floor. Just as a comment on what you have said, there has been no vertical movement (planks moving away from the sub floor) it has all been lateral (planks separating from each other)

In fact I am even more worried now as my whole house is done like this and we are expecting a new addition in October!

Will it be OK to relay the same wood once it has dried? I can leave the self adhesive underlay fixed to the bottom of the wood, but cut out the planks- this should leave each plank with its own individual piece of underlay if that makes sense. These planks could then be glued back into place.

Hopefully!

Sponsored Links
I've used that type of underlay and while it holds the wood down I felt it could stretch a little co I used flooring straps and glued every fourth row too keep it tight.Try putting the straps on it to see if it pulls it back in

I tried straps without any luck. You are right about the underlay allowing a small amount of movement. As I said I have used it in most rooms of my house and it seems to have worked well, even if it isn't quite as user friendly as it suggests!

The main area of movement leads up to the hearth. I have put some wedges in place at the moment. They are pushing against each other (I'm sure there is a proper name for them) so they are forcing the planks back into place. I was hoping they would gradually shift them back, but I don't think it is working at the moment.

If necessary I will have to relay it.

Unfortunately they are not really pushing them back properly. I hoped they might start the process, and then further wedges could be added to bring it back right.

Looks like I am relaying it- I would rather do this and know that it's right than try a repair that doesn't work quite right.

Will I be able to use the same wood again (obviously checking they are straight)

have you removed the beading from every where and checked expansion. Sounds like a row has got jammed somewhere to me.

It may only be touching at 1 point in the hole room and it will cause this problem.

No Matty, I haven't checked that.

I will do before relaying half the room!

Can I use the same flooring if it is due to one or more of the boards expanding?

yes you can reuse the flooring, but one or two boards wont expand or contract on there own. They are all moving the same.

Check for the problem i said about and we will go from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back