moving hot water cylinder to the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
i'm after moving my cylinder and valves etc up into the loft as to create space for a shower room, are there any special points i should be looking at to make life easier for me..? does the cold water tank need to be raised above the cylinder ? i know it's going to be alot of hassle but its the only way to get the space i need any help and tips much appriecated thanks

Sponsored Links
Moving your hwc up into the loft will seriously drop the head of pressure on your hot water outlets.
Even if you move the cold water tank above the hwc I doubt you will be high enough to give any reasonable pressure.

If you have to move/get rid of the cylinder maybe mains fed with electric shower and a combi boiler is the way to go.
Pete

Fluffster wrote

Moving your hwc up into the loft will seriously drop the head of pressure on your hot water outlets.
Even if you move the cold water tank above the hwc I doubt you will be high enough to give any reasonable pressure.

Err, no.

The pressure at the hot water taps is determined soley by the height of the cold cistern above them. The cistern has to be above the hot cylinder, water regrettably doesn't flow uphill.

If you have to move/get rid of the cylinder maybe mains fed with electric shower and a combi boiler is the way to go.

Not if you can possibly help it. You'll get a considerably better hot flow rate from a cylinder, assuming pipe sizing is correct, than you ever will from an electric shower or combi.

Regards
Martin

I agree with Fluffster, as I assume he is assuming that you will not have enough height in your loft to raise the tanks high enough to create pressure, if your loft is super tall and your tanks are high enough it will work fine, if not you will notice a considerable drop in pressure.

Usually in these scenarios there is a little more involved than just unplugging a cylinder and moving it to the loft.

Whilst talking about 'expectations'.....a lady asked me to reinstall her whole bathroom and install a new shower and tile to make good in one day........! I laughed....!

My point is: Dont expect too much from this idea :idea:

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Sponsored Links
I have hot water tank in loft, cold tank above, Bottom of cold tank about 4ft above joists, I get good head of water for shower.

Thanks Beanz that was exactly as I meant.
As you say there is a lot more to it than just moving the cylinder as you have to take into account the height of the vent pipe etc.

I was also just giving some options ie elec shower and combi.

Pete

Hi Beans

Lots of assumption going on here, I of course assumed there was sufficient height in the attic to raise the cold cistern above the hwc. If not then it obviously wont work. If there is sufficient room then the hot water pressure is entirely dependent on the head between the cold cistern and the hot taps, you can locate the hwc anywhere vertically between the two, or even lower, and the pressure wont vary one iota, the flow rate might, but thats a different thing.

Go here http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/martin43_2006/img_1011.jpg,http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/martin43_2006/IMG_1012.jpg,http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/martin43_2006/IMG_1013.jpg

and see the photos of the installation in my attic. I can assure you it works fine, but then I've got a nice big traditional roof construction, probably not much fun in a modern truss roof space.

Liked the assumptions by your customer, funny old misunderstood world.

Regards
Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back