moving incoming supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I would like to have my incoming supply moved from one side of an internal wall to the other side - about 5 inches! This will take it from my kitchen to my utility room. It comes up through the concrete floor which I will be digging up anyway as I need to remove a disused gas pipe. What is the best way of going about this? I understand itis illegal to move a meter, but does this stand if no wires are disconnected? A couple of people ahve told me they know someone that would do it but is it asking for trouble? I imagine my supplier (EDF) would charge an arm and a leg for this. I have a couple of photos but I don't know how to add them to the post.

Sponsored Links
Try here to upload your pics.

In any event it will still be down to EDF, I don't think you can get round that.

I don't know if these will help....

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

... tell me more about the £200!

Sponsored Links
You have an unusual cutout. It looks to be a TP head, but possibly is actually only a SP supply.

I am concerned about the VIR cable in steel conduit to the right of the pictures.

Do you know what this supplies?

Your incommer looks to be lead, so the DNO might not be prepared to move this without replacing the cable.

What is VIR? If you mean the two cables coming out of the meter and dissapearing into the pipe in the wall, they feed a seperate consumer unit which supplies the first floor of my house (it used to be 2 flats). I think you are right to be concerned - they have a woven fabric covering. These will be replaced in a few weeks as I have an electrician coming to rewire the upstairs and connect everything to the downstairs consumer unit.

The incoming is in a lead pipe. What does DNO stand for? What does replacing the cable entail and why would it be necessary? sounds expensive. :cry:

It looks like you have a fused neutral at the intake position - in this case EDF can replace the whole service fuse block for you with a modern one, possibly with PME facility (the ones with a big earth terminal poking out at the right hand side of the fuse unit). :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I am concerned about the VIR cable in steel conduit to the right of the pictures.

Is it conduit or some dodgy pot?

You need to find what it supplies. May be sub-main or loop service to an upstairs flat. ???? Are you in a house or flat?

Also, as the neutral is in a fuseway, good chance it is fused, unless it has a solid link.

As for moving the meter without disconnecting, how would you fix it to the board without breaking the seals? EDF I'm affraid. Bite the bullet

grommett said:
... tell me more about the £200!

Unfortunately it's just a case of knowing the right people :(
It's not so much the money but convenience. Within 24hrs a supply can end up somewhere else. Really handy.

DNO - Distribution Network Operator

grommett said:
What is VIR?
it is the cable type with waxy fabic covering

What does DNO stand for?

Distribution Network Operator (EDF in your case)

The incoming is in a lead pipe.

Its not a pipe, its a lead sheathed cable.

What does replacing the cable entail and why would it be necessary?

With a cable of that age the insulation may have degraded to a point where moving the cable will cause the insulation to fail rendering the cable unuseable.

It is upto the DNO to decide what condition it is in, and wether they are happy to work on it.

and Vulcanised India Rubber, if you want to know.

It perishes with age and yours could be anywhere between 50 and 80 years old.

JohnD said:
and Vulcanised India Rubber, if you want to know.

It perishes with age and yours could be anywhere between 50 and 80 years old.

I think it is from the early 60's which is when the house was converted into flats, it was then converted back to a house in the 80's. The downstairs wiring is up to date with RCB's etc but the upstairs is old (I have a wooden fuse box with ceramic fuses and no earth in the lighting circuit - even the old round-pin sockets). When the upstairs is rewired next month,this cable will no longer be used. I am more concerned about the lead cable - will it need replacing and would it be expensive?

If you want it moved, it will need to be replaced. Possibly dug up and cut back and jointed.

Is the property in Bournemouth?

Whatever you do, do not be tempted to try and shift the plywood board yourself, old lead and paper cables have a tendancy to break down and go bang when moved :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back