moving load bearing stud

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a bit of advice before we move a load bearing stud partition. I've had a couple of surveyors round & they're going to send round their structural guys, but I wanted to get some feedback from you lot so I know what I'm talking about before the engineers arrive.

The wall I want to move is highlighted yellow, moving it about 500mm to the left on the drawing, so that the living room & ex-dining room are the same width throughout (dividing partition was removed a few years ago before we moved in, so it's one big room now)

Also attached the first floor joist plan, any thoughts or opinions as to the best way forward?

Cheers

View media item 58077
View media item 58078

Sponsored Links
If the floor joists overlap over the stud wall, you will need a steel beam in that position (assuming load=bearing wall each end).

Presumably you don't want to move the foundations for this wall, so you will need a beam and a non-load bearing replacement wall below it

cheers guys,

problem with inserting a steel is that there won't be anywhere to support it at the bottom end of the drawing once the stud comes out.

I'm presuming there might have to be 2 steels, one to support the floor joists at the overlap, and then another at right angles supported at 'X' in the drawing below (line of 2nd steel highlighted in pink)? Does this seem legit, or are there any other potential solutions other than sky hooks?

View media item 58082

Sponsored Links
See what your engineers come up with, and then we can say if they are right or not :cool:

8)
cheers Woody, keep u posted

already been quoted 2.5k, including repairing the floor & replastering the whole ceiling, replacing coving / skirting etc, but that was by a surveyor & not based on any structural calcs, and before I'd managed to get copies of the original drawings. Obviously if there's 2 steels the price would take a hike...

How will you fit the kitchen in with that door in the way? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back