Moving mains cable ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We are currently in the process of adding a couple of new windows, one of these crossed where the main cable comes into the transformer unit.

The cable cable comes I to the house overhead and is tied into a bracket on the wall and then runs down into the house.

I would not want to untie on any way, but am I allowed to move the cable route down the wall. I would not be disconnecting in anyway not changing the wy it attached just the route the wire takes down the wall.

I am a capable with electrics and many other areas and always get things inspected if it seems suitable.

The question is am I allowed to reroute, rather than am I compentant to do so at this point if that makes sense, many thanks.

Sponsored Links
In a word NO

Contact the DNO and ask them to move it. If it is an old cable they may upgrade it free of charge.

The insulation on old cables can crumble away if the cable is disturbed.

If anything went wrong you would be in a real mess, assuming you survived the fire ball the legal and other matters could be very expensive.

Note, that as it is the OP's own supply there may be a charge.

The best way may be not to tell the DNO you want it moved, just that you want it unclipped, Get that done, do your window and then ask that it be reclipped.

Sponsored Links
The best way may be not to tell the DNO you want it moved, just that you want it unclipped, Get that done, do your window and then ask that it be reclipped.
Particularly given what you said about the risks of cables crumbling if they are disturbed, would it necessarily be regarded as safe to leave the cable unclipped (and presumably 'wallowing around') whilst the building work was being done (in the very near vicinity)? A non-clipped cable would presumably have got quite seriously 'disturbed' during the gales of the past few days.

Kind Regards, John

Particularly given what you said about the risks of cables crumbling if they are disturbed, would it necessarily be regarded as safe to leave the cable unclipped (and presumably 'wallowing around') whilst the building work was being done (in the very near vicinity)? A non-clipped cable would presumably have got quite seriously 'disturbed' during the gales of the past few days.

If the cables are in poor condition generally the linesmen will replace them there and then. They would not in any circumstances leave anything that could be construed as dangerous or could become dangerous due to the weather.
They nay also fit additional shrouding or re route them in agreement with the house owner to save a revisit

Generally any that are seen wallowing around or in a dangerous condition are those that the houseowner or the builder ("because they know better") have done without reference to the DNO

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back