Were to run my cable?

AdamW said:
is there some special brand of hi-fi buff who goes and buys rubbish equipment?
No - but there is a special breed that are frequent snake-oil imbibers and will not accept that they're peddling and believing utter BS;

a) because they've paid for it and can't admit that they've been conned

b) because it makes them feel superior to the pond-life that buy shiny boxes in Dixons, Comet and other sheds

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
You really need a G/F!!! :D

I wholly agree! :LOL:

So, if anyone out there has a spare daughter of say, 18-25 years of age, and you fancy part exchanging her against a 2001 Vauxhall Astra, my phone number is 555-1234 ;)

Anyway, is selling a modified CU illegal or not? Note it is the CU that is modified, it is not just a CU with some special MCBs in it. :?:

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
Including a "Super Spur", available here
Adam - thanks for posting that link - I enjoyed reading all that hokum with immense pleasure. Haven't had such a laugh in ages.

I just hope that anybody who buys it, and gets an electrician in to do the installation, doesn't tell him what they paid for it, for Mr Sparky will be laughing so much that he'll no longer be able to do a safe job, and may well add the cost of a new pair of trousers to his bill.

Seriously - if this is what some people can be persuaded to do, then I advise any electricians out there to bone up on the BS terminology, and practice it until they can say it with a straight face, for just look at the retirement plan that it offers you (some of the prices from this guy's website):

Memera 2000 metalclad, 100A incomer, 45A, 2 x 25A, 2 x 5A fuse carriers - £204

6491X singles - 6mm £2.28/m, 10mm £4.25/m, 16mm £6.56/m etc

2-core SWA - 2.5mm £2.54/m, 4mm £4.12/m, 6mm £5.20/m, 10mm £7.81/m

Cable clips - 5mm £0.15 EACH, 10mm £0.20

3m 38x16 PVC trunking - £13.69

and on and on.

AdamW said:
Anyway, is selling a modified CU illegal or not? Note it is the CU that is modified, it is not just a CU with some special MCBs in it. :?:
Quite possibly not - and could well invalidate the guarantee.

Also, he's selling 6491X singles as meter tails, instead of 6181Y DI stuff.

And (not dangerous, except to your wallet): "Cable (Flexible permanent CPC) Super Radex is used as CPC throughout the system."

Lord knows what difference "super" cpcs make, as there should be no current flowing in them....

phil_ballard said:
Adam, can you post some pics of the Astra? ;)

Just looks like a common-or-garden Mk4, but it is cheaper to run than a girlfriend hence the part exchange :LOL:

What is the advantage of 20p cable clips over the 4p ones you can buy anywhere else?

Could they be 0HLS?

Adam, swap your Astra for my wife - 39 (lots of experience!!), but does tend to pigginess now and again!

(I'm for it if she ever reads this!)

Are you sure? Even though you know about my crunchy reverse gear? :LOL:

Adam, no you've gotta get it fixed first. Then it's a deal!

Also £4.25 worth of 40x40mm mini-trunking: £15.82

A £12.95 MK metalclad socket: £26.50

Perhaps we have a culprit for the "3-bedroom house rewiring kit"?

I believe these prices might be termed "burglarious behaviour between the hours of sunrise and sunset". ;)

AdamW said:
Are you sure? Even though you know about my crunchy reverse gear? :LOL:
Might just be a very slightly dragging clutch.

Try double-declutching on your way into reverse - does that stop the crunch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back