Drilled into cable - repair advice

Sponsored Links
Would it be possible to put a box over where you drilled the cable, you can often get enough to Thru crimp the cable

I didn’t want to terminate the ring as I’d end up with a spur off a spur. But guess I could go for this approach if I used 4mm cable from the JB where the ring is terminated to the first socket. Then leave the 2.5mm connecting the two sockets. Would that be acceptable? I’m not sure what the benefit is if I’m already replacing one cable it’s easy enough to do 2x2.5mm and maintain the ring.

Chasing a new cable from the previous socket would be a pain but is possible. I would still need a JB to reconnect the cable back to the CU though. I guess one JB is better than two!

Have you got any pictures?

Pics attached. Offending hole is by copper pipe. The two sockets are on the same wall but the one on the right has plasterboard behind it (old bricked up doorway). Second picture is the previous socket.

6674E4AC-472E-46CB-863E-89FAC0E4B34E.jpeg 0890A9D3-943D-4DC3-A050-09D16F8155C9.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Would it be possible to put a box over where you drilled the cable, you can often get enough to Thru crimp the cable

I was thinking I might have another go at exposing the damage and seeing whether it is just one cable. If I could get access and reconnect the damaged cable I could cut a hole in the back of the cabinet that will go in front of it so that’s it remains accessible.

I didn’t want to terminate the ring as I’d end up with a spur off a spur. But guess I could go for this approach if I used 4mm cable from the JB where the ring is terminated to the first socket. Then leave the 2.5mm connecting the two sockets. Would that be acceptable?
Yes.

I’m not sure what the benefit is if I’m already replacing one cable it’s easy enough to do 2x2.5mm and maintain the ring.
...and vice versa.
What benefit do you think maintaining the 'ring' is when it is not a ring but two cables in a line?

Chasing a new cable from the previous socket would be a pain but is possible. I would still need a JB to reconnect the cable back to the CU though. I guess one JB is better than two!
Exactly.

Just seen your recent pictures; where is the hole you have drilled?

Fair enough, I was trying to keep it as close to the original circuit as possible I guess but the 4mm option would be preferable as could be done with just one JB. Thanks.

The hole is directly below the left hand socket behind the copper pipe.

Also a bit worrying from a poster that regularly, states to posters to get a "Sparky" and about Testing and Certification, if he has been fitting Hagar boxes in the way he suggests.
Indeed, but I have a greater concern. He started off his post with ....
Have any of you actually looked at or used the jb he proposes to use ...
My initial reaction was to think "that's a bit rich", since it sounded as if he clearly had not looked at or used one himself. However, I then wondered if, in fact, he HAS used one, but in the belief that ...
... because that is what it is designed for extending a ring final circuit one leg on left side joined through one leg on right side joined through keep up with the new products people
... since, as most of us know, if he has actually done that ('to extend a ring final') he will have joined the two legs of the ring, and presumably changed it into a 'figure-of-8' circuit - not a disaster, but probably a nightmare for anyone trying to test the circuit.

Kind Regards, John

Hi John, scrapped that idea. What do you think is the best option in my case? Cheers

I was thinking I might have another go at exposing the damage and seeing whether it is just one cable.
You will have to do that whatever solution is used.
Removing the plaster that covers the cable is far easier than you think it is.

Hi John, scrapped that idea. What do you think is the best option in my case? Cheers
There are plenty of options, including 'the proper solution' (which you would prefer to avoid).

You could, for example, do exactly as you initially proposed except that (per recent discussions) you would have to use two J803 JBs (one for each leg of the ring), rather than just one.

Kind Regards, John

There are plenty of options, including 'the proper solution' (which you would prefer to avoid).

You could, for example, do exactly as you initially proposed except that (per recent discussions) you would have to use two J803 JBs (one for each leg of the ring), rather than just one.

Kind Regards, John
Yes, that sounds the way forward.

Had another look at it today. Managed to hack away enough to expose the damage. Definitely not soft plaster!! :LOL:

Only one cable damaged, long cable returning to the CU so no chance of replacing that.

I think I can remove enough to put a JB on the wall near the damage, cut & strip the damaged cable and reconnect. Should be enough slack.

Hopefully problem solved. Cheers for the advice (y)

1D2BE99B-74F3-4E2D-8F34-63C4F6FB5A70.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back