Cables smoking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The power coming to my house is via two overhead cables that attach to the first has in our row and finally comes down the outside wall from the eaves into the meter, I have noticed since erecting a carport recently that the cables have lost most of the outside covering and exposes the wired armoured cable protecting the main cables, I decided to hose down the wall to remove brick dust and the cables got wet, I assume this would not be a problem as they are outside in all weathers but when I had finished I noticed smoke coming from the cables. Do I assume it is steam but why would the cables get that hot or am I worrying unnecessary.
The house was built in 1935 so I assume they are the originals.

Sponsored Links
Whether steam or smoke it sounds like something is very wrong, you should contact the Distribution Network Operator (DNO) ASAP and tell them what you said in the post above. It looks like you are in Western Power Distribution area(?) Their number may be 0800 6783 105. Expect a bill if you drilled their cable while putting up your carport.

No it was not drilled or damaged, its not something you would look at if it was raining just spotted it as I was looking to make sure I had cleaned up properly.
I would assume if somebody drilled into that cable it would go with a bang.
Thanks for the number I shall get onto them.

I would assume if somebody drilled into that cable it would go with a bang.
Not always, one of our guys drilled a DNO cable it was over a week before the problems started, as the water slowly got to the damaged section of cable. It eventually blew the fuse at the transformer. WPD are usually very good and will soon be out, what did they say when you phoned them?

Sponsored Links
"Two overhead cables" is likely to be single core insulated. The "armouring" you can see is likely the live/neutral inner core. Getting it wet, it is likely shorting to earth or each other.

They came out last night and replaced all the cables, when they saw them they said I was lucky as I had been painting very close to them, there was a bit of a panic as they could not get hold of a lines man so they were considering pulling the power on our estate. Took them about 4 hours to sort it and we have smoke free cables.
I will take a photo of it later today and see if they put the old cables in our dustbin.

Sometimes the DNO upgrade to PME, conditions being favourable.

The upgrade had been done before I purchased the house 2 years ago along with a rewire, I do not know why these cables had not been replaced then as they have been in that condition from when I purchased it.

What upgrade? To PME?

Did you get a picture of the old stuff?

Could the second cable been a armoured telephone cable, and their was only one overhead PME cable.

Sticky1245, what of the three pictures below best represents your earthing arrangements at your fuse cut-out what will be next to your meter.

TT

tt_system.jpg

TN-C-S (PME)

tn_c_s_system.jpg

TN-S

tn_s_system.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back