Cables smoking

Could the second cable been a armoured telephone cable,

Does armoured overhead telephone cable exist ?

Quite often two separate conductors ( Line and Neutral ) are used to bring power to a property. The shop next to my house has that arrangement to it's TT installation.

Sponsored Links
Could the second cable been a armoured telephone cable, and their was only one overhead PME cable.

Sticky1245, what of the three pictures below best represents your earthing arrangements at your fuse cut-out what will be next to your meter.

TT

tt_system.jpg

TN-C-S (PME)

tn_c_s_system.jpg

TN-S

tn_s_system.jpg

Who's stole my pictures and prattled around with them?

Does armoured overhead telephone cable exist ?
Not as far as I know. Dropwire (OH) cable usually has a steel wire strainer wire in the bundle, but it is not an armoured cable. BT cable 10B for example.
Armoured telephone cable is available but used for external/buried applications, not overhead.

Sponsored Links
I have took a couple of pics of the set up and the new cable, in the first photo you can just make out the old cable joining the new

Attachments

• IMG_0185.JPG
    IMG_0185.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0186.JPG
    IMG_0186.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 275
That's a bloody awful service supply connection. Where are the insulating caps to cover the connection points and who is responsible should the decorator electrocute himself when painting the barge boards.

Is that wood board charged and burnt where the outgoing meter tails are. And is that just insulation tape on where the two over head lines combine into the sing drop wire? I assume and hope a compliant connection has been made.

Last edited:
Where are the insulating caps to cover the connection points

The visible metal may be isolated from the electrical conductors. Some live jointing systems have insulation piercing connections enbedded in the two insulated shells that clamped onto the conductors by a nut and bolt that is fully isolated.

who is responsible should the decorator electrocute himself when painting the barge boards.
The decorator, for failing to use a safe system of work. Or whoever's responsible for CDM compliance if the site is subject to CDM regulations.

Yes the board is chared, was probably the reason why it had a rewire before we purchased it. Tho looking at some of the rewire that was done I suprised the house hasnot gone up in flames.
We decided to change the hob and when the electric oven was removed we found that the oven cable and the ignition switch for the gas hob was connected to a choc block then connected to the 45amp cooker circuit into the 45amp MCB in the consumer unit, the manufacturers instructions was it should be connected to a FSU with a 13amp protecting it. I have attached the photo of the cables coming out the oven.

Regarding the overhead cables and the insulation tape I am assuming it is two lines going into one and the tape is to keep the water out, but I am not an electrician so I hope has been done correctly.

Attachments

• IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 152

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back