Moving meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing a renovation, the meter and consumer unit are smack bang underneath the living room window. Gotta be the most ridiculous location I've ever seen.

The feed from the outside comes straight up through the solid flood into the meter.

I know i could get the supply company to move the meter into the corner but my question is, does the incoming cable need to be dug up out of the solid floor and go vertically into the meter? OR can it remain entering the living room where it is and be run behind timber studding that I intend to cover that entire wall with? (wall will be dry lined)

I hope that makes sense. Cut a long story short, is there certain rules as to how the supply cable is run/visible within a property?

Sponsored Links
I hope that makes sense. Cut a long story short, is there certain rules as to how the supply cable is run/visible within a property?

Most definately.............you need to contact your supply company for their advice and guidance..............Good Luck with That :LOL:

Also be aware that the DNO will charge a LOT of money to move the supply - probably significantly more than you expect...

Difficult to know without seeing it, but could you e.g. box in underneath the window and then just have a small opening door to access the meter etc?

Sponsored Links
You probably realise this already, but the consumer unit can be sited in a more convenient location, leaving a much smaller 'cupboard' for the meter and service head - possibly without involving the DNO. But either way, avoiding a huge bill.

The challenge will be running cables in safe zones.

If the CU is also under the window now I'll bet the cables from it to the upper floor do a dog-leg to avoid the window above.

Quite common in older properties around here BTW.

canoworms1.jpg

Is it really a problem having the cu and meter under the window?

You only want to move it into the corner of the same room?

Is it an option for the old cable to be cut off at floor level; and jointed outside, the new cable in a trench outside to the new position, via an outside meter box? Might be better than having the cable hidden in the timber studding.

Possibly the circuit cables leaving your existing cu are run in the cavity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back