Moving my gas supply pipe am I being ripped off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a new small extension on built to the side of my house. This would have meant my gas meter was inside the house so I had it moved to the outside about 3 meters. I was quoted a price of £988 inc vat. My builder would dig the trench and I would supply the meter box. I thought it was high at the time but was told there was a lot of work to be done. Previously British Gas told me I must use their contractors GEC based in Manchester.

Come the day of the work 2 contractors turned up and were there less than an hour and simply connected the pipe to the incoming gas pipe and moved the gas meter and connected it up. see photo.

I am of the opinion that nearly £1000 for 1 hours work is extorsion. What can I do about it? I am ringing Citizens Advice and Trading Standards. Anyone else got some money back?

I have since found out that I could have used my own contractor and saved myself around £600

Total rip off or what? The electricity utility did the same thing with my electric supply removing a looped supply from me and my neighbour. I was only charged for work on my property, 4 men where here most of the day and I only got charged around £660. I am all for a fair price but 1 hour for £980 is ridiculous.

Attachments

• IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    488.3 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    488.3 KB · Views: 403
Sponsored Links
You accepted the quote and made an assumption on what they would be doing?

Don’t think there really is much you can do.

Standard charging from the utilities I'm afraid. The charge doesn't just cover the time the contractors were on the tools either. But you already know that.

Sponsored Links
This is the thing with standard pricing. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. Overall it works out.

Look at the electric work you mentioned. Four men and two vans for a day, that cost the DNO a lot more than £660. Maybe double what you paid?

If you average out over the electric and gas it looks like a reasonable deal overall.

Your only defence is if you have proof you were advised that only GEC could complete the work by British Gas, and can then show a quote from someone else who could actually legally do the work and was far cheaper.

If you cannot prove that, you haven't really got a case. But hey, may be worth an angry letter and see what you get!

When i wanted to move mine from inside, to outside, i just said that its dangerous to keep it inside, i feel unsafe and because the area is not ventilated i sometimes feel weird smell. And they changed it for free. After couple heavy concerns for my safety.. :mrgreen::mrgreen: UK is so easy once its regarding health and safety :mrgreen::mrgreen: They even redone my entrance ramp that was cracked before due to laying new gas pipe :mrgreen::mrgreen:

When i wanted to move mine from inside, to outside, i just said that its dangerous to keep it inside, i feel unsafe and because the area is not ventilated i sometimes feel weird smell. And they changed it for free. After couple heavy concerns for my safety.. :mrgreen::mrgreen: UK is so easy once its regarding health and safety :mrgreen::mrgreen: They even redone my entrance ramp that was cracked before due to laying new gas pipe :mrgreen::mrgreen:

So you are the reason the standard charging is so high :ROFLMAO:

Lots of leeches in this world. That is not a dig tho because if you can get away with it why not. The company should have told you to do one to be honest but they didn’t so lucky you :cautious:

Sponsored Links
Back