Moving Panic button - safety issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Room re-jig means that I'll need to re-position Panic button on my house alarm system to a different wall. Having taken cover off, there are three wires although much thinner than, e.g., the house lighting circuit.

Do I need to power down before undoing these wires or is it all quite safe because any 'shock' I may get is very low voltage?

Thanks,
Mike.

Sponsored Links
You must have had a shock removing the cover from the PA...

securespark said:
You must have had a shock removing the cover from the PA...

.......no, nothing (unless you mean the alarm going off!)

.....so will I get a shock if I come into contact with any of these wires?

Cheers,
Mike.

probably not but if they short out they may either damage the alarm or set it off... just power it down while you move it

Sponsored Links
If you turn off the mains supply to the alarm panel the alarm circuits will still be energised by the backup battery inside the control panel. You will need to disconnect the back up battery also to isolate the circuits.

As with the PA button the control panel will have a tamper switch that will set the alarm off immediately if you open it. (Unless you have the engineers code that will allow you access)

When you remove the backup battery, the exterior alarm will sound (if it's not already). This is because there is another battery in the bell box outside the house designed to set it off if an intruder removes mains power and the backup battery at the control panel.

breezer said:
dont worry about it, but you were right to ask

.....many thanks to all who helped out. Had a nice result - friendly Alarm company engineer walked me through the Panic button circuit decommissioning whilst effecting the move.....

Cheers,
Mike.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back