Moving RCD Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my gas meter is going to be moved in order to leave room for a washroom under the stairs. SGN has agreed to move it less than a metre from its current position but the RCD box has to be moved slightly to the right (around 20cm) in order to comply with the 150mm clearance. Is this something I can do myself or do I require by law to call a technician? If so how much can I expect to be charged?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
This may help you with your terminology
full

Is this 150mm a dimension require by SGN?
Cant they put their meter 20cm further to the left, or does that cause other problems?

AS JohnD says, post a picture of the "box" so we can see what you are talking about, and the general layout.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A picture of your own one, including the layout of cables and meter, would be much better.

An electrician can do it, but when moved a cable might become dislodged so it should not be done live.

This is the pic, appologize for the 90degrees turn. The rcd box has to be horizontaly around 25cm in order to get the cables coming up out of the way for the gas meter

Attachments

• 20160121_180551.jpg
    20160121_180551.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 192
Do you have any experience or qualifications in electrical work? Is there enough slack in the cables to accommodate moving to the new position?

There is enough slack on the cables however it appears that some cables are coming from the back of the unit as well. About qualifications dont have but have enough experience i think.

I would certainly recommend calling in an electrician. It could well need fully disconnecting, repositioning, and then everything put back in again. And what about the meter tails. Not a DIY job IMHO.

While you are at it, is the existing consumer unit big enough for your needs? It would be silly to reposition it if it has not enough spare ways for future extensions etc. As it is being all moved about you could also consider changing it to one of the new Amendment 3 fire containment consumer units which will tick another box if you decide to move house.

All of the cbles will need to be at least long enough to reach the new consumer unit position. If you are lucky that may be OK for most of the visible cables that come into the box from underneath. If there are cables entering from the back of the box then you have larger problems: they will not be long enough and (if they are at plaster depth) they will no longer be installed in a recognised "safe zone" for the cables. So you would need to install a termination point for all of those cables and extend them horizontally to the CU position.
Something like this
wago-102-din-mini.jpg

But, per the above, you really need to get an electrician to do this, if nothing else, you will be messing about with live meter tails. With respect, you may think that you
have enough experience i think
but you do not even know the difference between an RCD and a consumer unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back