Moving Supply to house and meter tails query

Sponsored Links
As an idea of costs

I am in the process of having a new supply installed to a cottage. Meter box is about 8 metres across my land from the footpath under which is the 240 volt cable about one metre from my boundary.

I will be supplying and installing the box for the meter, digging the trench and installing a duct with draw cord to the edge of the public highway. The DNO will extend the the trench from my boundary to the cable, supply the cable and make connections to the network cable and to the cut out in the meter box.

Cost quoted is £ 3,100 of which £ 1,300 is TMA ( Traffic Management Act ) charges, As yours is a private lane TMA costs may not be applicable. For connection of a supply cable to over head network the cost should be considerably less as the DNO does not need to dig other than a short length at the base of the pole. Do not take your trench ( at 750mm deep ) right up to the pole unless the DNO agree with this.

As mentioned before talk to your DNO about the best way to plan this.

Hello all,

Just to follow this up, had the quote from the DNO to move the supply cable to allow by roof extension £240 inc vat.

This makes me very happy, no need to move anything else (meter or CU) they will just remove and re attach at a more convenient location.

Thanks for your input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back