Moving Switch & Socket OK for DIY?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, we are widening an internal doorway and this will involve moving a socket and a light switch. The wiring for them both drops down the wall from under the upstairs floor and so it is just a case of moving the point at which the cabling drops down and then refitting the socket and switch.
It looks to me like this job in non-notifiable under part P, is that correct? and if so does that mean I am OK to do this work myself? I have done this sort of work before and thus am OK to do the job but am not qualified and wanted to ensure I was not stepping outside the current regs.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
To keep within regs there are number of things to consider.
Firstly your ability to undertake and commission the task safely and that the work when complete is safe to use.
The cable route must comply to the permitted safe zones, any newly buried cable will most likely require the addition of RCD protection, if this does not already exist?
The work will be non-notifiable, providing the work does require a new circuit and is not within the zones of a bathroom. But under the guidance of BS7671 (wiring regs), a minor works certificate would be required on completion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back