utility room socket amandments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi was wondering if this is complicated job or if i need professionals. i'm pretty competent but i have never really done any electrical work apart from moving the odd socket and wiring up a light

I had my house rewired 4 years ago and at the time all my appliances where in the kitchen. we have since moved them into the utility but now our lass want work top in the utility too

Now the problem i have is all the sockets are above work top level and i dont want holes in the new wooden work top to allow plugs and wires to pass. I have since seen in my mates house that all his appliances plug in under the work top and there is a fused switch above the work top to turn the power on and off so you never need to unplug the appliance unless removing.

Is this an easy conversion? is it just a case of dropping the existing sockets down ( at what height do these need to be to meet any regs) put new fused switches in the place where the sockets used to be and wire up and connect the fused switches to the relating socket. (what sort of fused switches would i need?)

or am i way off

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Is this an easy conversion? is it just a case of dropping the existing sockets down ( at what height do these need to be to meet any regs) put new fused switches in the place where the sockets used to be and wire up and connect the fused switches to the relating socket. (what sort of fused switches would i need?)

Pretty much yes.

Easiest if the sockets above the worktop level are singles as you can fit a Fused Connection Unit to a single back box.

Or you can build up a double switch + fuse combination using Grid Switch components.

However it's impossible to say whether this is a good idea as I can't see the age/condition/circuit arrangements for your existing wiring.

PULLMYFINGER
Sounds straight forward enough, as OwainDIYer has mentioned if the existing socket outlets are single gang, you can just chase in to the wall directly downwards then install a single socket under worktop for each appliance.
Replace the existing sockets can be either by using a 13A SFCU
or a 20A switch/isolator
If the sockets are doubles can you can replace for singles and do a little remedial work or you could consider grid switch arrangement.
Can you confirm the design type of this circuit:
Is it a RFC or Radial?
What is the MCB rating of the circuit?
What size CSA is the cable?
What load is on the circuit (output)?

Sponsored Links
Personally I like to have the switch/fuse above the worktop and just a cable outlet below with the appliance wired directly in to that. Thos avoids having fuses in difficult to get to places.

Also (and it depends on the appliance and your worktop depth) but you may find that there is not enough clearance behind the appliance for a plug & socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back