Moving the back garden fence into the front...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi,

Newbie to the forum. I'm a D&T teacher by day job, but also a keen DIY'er. Fairly experienced in terms of DIY having converted my Garage into a family room, and built my own conservatory from the ground up.

Anyway, tool's breed, so have now outgrown my current home workshop (a 12x8 shed).

I want to build the new shop over the site of the old one pictured, which is situated right up against the fence that separates the front drive and back garden. We're lucky to have a fair bit of space running down the side of our house, and a nice size driveway (shown in attached pics) - I want to build into the front driveway, and basically rebuild the fence that's already there into a corner as depicted by the bit's of timber on the floor, extending to 300mm short of the neighbors boundary to give maintenance access, This would then give me room to build a 5.5x4m workshop on the footprint.

I know permitted dev rules don't cover outbuildings forward of the property front elevation, and will obviously seek planning for this, however, I wanted to do some of the ground work for this during this year's Summer Holidays, while seeking planning (and saving up) with a mind to doing the actual workshop build next summer

My question is, can I legally extend my current fence, into the shape proposed without planning permission for the time being? (current fence has not got long left anyway). I can't seem to find an obvious answer to this, other than 'cant be taller than 2m'.... well it's already 3m from the previous owner (I guess as the garden is raised up 2 ft) - Planning portal also states "or not taller than any existing fence you are replacing"...

Where do I stand on this? If I keep it under 2m, and continue a dwarf retaining wall out from the current wall, am I fine to do this?

Sponsored Links
You will need planning permission for anything further than the building line. So no.

Thanks for the reply, are you sure that is the case just for a fence (forgetting the workshop for now, I'm just considering the fence) the permitted dev rules just says:

"You will need to apply for planning permission if you wish to erect or add to a fence, wall or gate and:

• it would be over 1 metre high and next to a highway used by vehicles (or the footpath of such a highway); or over 2 metres high elsewhere; or
  • your right to put up or alter fences, walls and gates is removed by an article 4 direction or a planning condition; or
  • your house is a listed building or in the curtilage of a listed building.
  • the fence, wall or gate, or any other boundary involved, forms a boundary with a neighbouring listed building or its curtilage.
You will not need to apply for planning permission to take down a fence, wall,or gate, or to alter, maintain or improve an existing fence, wall or gate (no matter how high) if you don't increase its height"

The only part that vaguely applies is part 1. It's not next to the highway. It's part way across my front drive. And probably about 15m from the highway in either case. Hence why I wanted a second opinion.

There's very little to go on, and the above seems vague to me, or at least open to interpretation regards fencing.

I'll ask the council I guess, just nice to know if others have had a similar idea.

You can put a 2m fence between the properties at the front, but where it comes close to the highway (IIRC the distance is not defined but 1-2m may be the permitted distance, subject to the site conditions) then the fence must stop or be reduced to 1m.

The property deeds may have other restrictions on boundary treatments.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that's how I interpreted it.

The road is much much further than 2m away from the new fence. Enough to still park 3 cars side by side, and have a 1.5m wide verge to road, and still fit the proposed fence line in.

It's a shame they can't give more specific info on the planning portal, or some useful case studies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back