Moving the meter box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm currently putting an extension on an investment property and as a consequence, I need to move the electricity meter box.

It's not going to move far and actually results in less cable being needed to get to the box from the supplier's side.

I've spoken to UK Power Networks and they want over £1,000 to do what looks to me like a couple of hours' work, if they do it slowly.

Are there any alternatives to paying these extortionate prices? All they need to do is pull out the (live) supply cable, pass it through the new hockey stick and connect it to a new meter. What they want to do is cut the live cable and make joint to the existing. Still seems really expensive though.

I'd appreciate any views on more cost efficient ways of doing this.

TIA

Jever

Sponsored Links
All they need to do is pull out the (live) supply cable,

How old is that cable ? Will it bend with absolutely zero risk of the insulation breaking and a short circuit being created ? The arc thus formed can burn for many minutes before the fuses ( 200 amp, maybe 400 amp ) at the sub-station eventually go open.

We get questions like this quite often.

Will it bend with absolutely zero risk of the insulation breaking and a short circuit being created ? The arc thus formed can burn for many minutes before the fuses ( 200 amp, maybe 400 amp ) at the sub-station eventually go open.
If not, whose fault and property is it?

Anyway, isn't that irrelevant? Aren't the costs similar to those water and gas suppliers would charge?

Just excessive huge corporation rip-offs.

£750 for the jointer and £250 for his mate. Only that job in a day;)

Sponsored Links
Are there any alternatives to paying these extortionate prices?
The most obvious one is to not have it moved.

Sometimes some elements of the work are what's called "contestable", which means you can use your own contractor, and not have to use the DNO. e.g. digging a trench.

Sounds as though, in this case, there won't be anything you can have done by a 3rd party, but you can ask for a breakdown and for contestable items to be identified.

Other than that you'll just have to absorb the cost, I'm afraid.

Just pay it. Seems like a once in a lifetime extravagance, and since this is an investment anyway, what are you worried about?

It's only money.

You can't take it with you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back