Moving the position of a double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am wanting to move a double wall socket about a meter further along the wall. Ive chased the cables out, which run up into the ceiling.

One of the cables will reach the new location fine but the other is too short.

Can I extend the short cable using a 30 amp junction box, and fasten that to a joist in the ceiling, then run the extended cable to the new position?

The circuit is protected by RCD.

Sponsored Links
Are Wago junction boxes suitable as i can get some of them from Screw fix but have to send of for the others.

Are Wago junction boxes suitable as i can get some of them from Screw fix but have to send of for the others.

Don't use Wagos as as far as I am aware they are not standardised as MF.
MF boxes can be purchased from your local electrical wholesaler.
Places like CEF, Harrisons, Edmunsons, Denmans and Oldfields stock them. Depending where you live in Yorkshire there should be one of those close by.
I suggest you make a phone call to one of the above to check they are on the shelf.

Sponsored Links
I have a feeling that the generic "Wago connector" term is used for both their MF and non-MF ranges.

I have a feeling that the generic "Wago connector" term is used for both their MF and non-MF ranges.
AFAIAA, they don't do a 'MF range'. However, as often discussed here, Wago documentation suggests that certain Wago connectors, with certain maximum loads do qualify as 'MF', per the standard if (and only if) they are housed in a Wagobox. However, some people are a bit unconvinced/sceptical about that, and I can't really blame them.

AFAIAA, the Ashley/Hager MF junction boxes are still the only ones which are definitely 'MF'.

Kind Regards, John

Surely this should be easily provable? Isn't MF defined by a BS document? Clearly the manufacturer would lean towards saying that it does but one assumes that there must be some authority on the matter?

Surely this should be easily provable? Isn't MF defined by a BS document? Clearly the manufacturer would lean towards saying that it does but one assumes that there must be some authority on the matter?
The relevant Standard is BS5733. You might think that it was a straightforward matter, but if you search this forum for previous discussions you'll see that it is not. BS7671 (and maybe also BS5733) requires that MF junction boxes bear the official 'MF' symbol - and, AFAIAA, that symbol does not appear on any Wago connectors or Wagoboxes.

Given that BS5733 apparently (and reasonably) contains requirements in relation to such things as cable restraint, temperature rises etc, it's quite hard to see that anything other than a factor-built 'whole JB' (connectors plus enclosure) could be said to be compliant with the Standard. To mark either Wago connectors or Wagoboxes themselves with an 'MF' symbol would certainly seem inappropriate, since either could be used in ways which were certainly not BS5733-compliant.

As I implied before, the Ashley/Hager MF JBs are the only ones of which I am aware which bear the required 'MF' marking.

Kind REgards, John

Last time I looked the people who make Wagoboxes were promising (by a date now passed) one with an MF logo.

But it would come with instructions on just which Wago connectors you could use, and how to use them, for it to to be a valid MF system, which to me makes a mockery of the box saying MF. As I've observed before, one day somebody will open an MF-labelled Wagobox and find wires twisted together inside.

How many "switches"? The plural suggests at least two but let's be sure. Even so, two fuses blowing is at least plausible, ten would seem unlikely and suggest one needs to look for a cause elsewhere.

As the saying goes: "to loose one fuse might be considered a misfortune, to loose two looks like carelessness."

Last time I looked the people who make Wagoboxes were promising (by a date now passed) one with an MF logo.
Indeed, but as you go on to say ...
But it would come with instructions on just which Wago connectors you could use, and how to use them, for it to to be a valid MF system ....
As you will be aware, those instructions already exist on their website, and have been there for a long time, certainly giving the impression that one can put together a 'DIY' Standard-compliant and reg-compliant 'MF' JB now (even though there wouldn't be an 'MF' logo in sight, to cite just one, fairly minor, issue)
... which to me makes a mockery of the box saying MF. As I've observed before, one day somebody will open an MF-labelled Wagobox and find wires twisted together inside.
I couldn't agree more. As I wrote above, I can't see how one can have an 'approved' MF JB unless it was manufactured as such in its complete form.

Kind Regards, John

How many "switches"? The plural suggests at least two but let's be sure. Even so, two fuses blowing is at least plausible, ten would seem unlikely and suggest one needs to look for a cause elsewhere.
Am I missing something - what on earth does this relate to?

Kind Regards, John

Am I missing something - what on earth does this relate to?

Kind Regards, John

Apologies, it relates to me not paying attention and updating completely the wrong thread.

So what does one need to do in order to be able to put a MF logo on one's product, as oppose to simply describing it as "Maintenance Free"?

So what does one need to do in order to be able to put a MF logo on one's product, as oppose to simply describing it as "Maintenance Free"?
I would presume that, just as with anything else subject to a Standard, it has to me manufactured according to whatever is specified in BS5733 and pass all the tests prescribed in BS5733 for MF JBs.

However, as I have said, and BAS has essentially repeated, I do not see how 'components which could be made into an MF JB' (e.g.an empty Wagobox) could, individually, be said to be BS5733-compliant, since there would be no guarantee of how those components might be put together or used. As I said, my simple mind cannot see how anything other than a 'whole JB', which left the manufacturer as such, could be certified as BS5733-compliant.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back