Moving WC thro' 90 degrees and Digging concrete floor for vertical soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,
We have a 1960's bungalow with solid concrete floors. We have a WC against an outside wall which we want to move through 90 degrees to an adjacent wall. The WC is against a false wall and has a vertical soil pipe straight down. We intend to remove the false wall for extra space. If we simply turned it thro' 90degrees the new WC would be 250mm out from the brick wall which isn't ideal.
We want to cut through the concrete floor and insert a new plastic soil pipe underfloor to connect with the outgoing drain closer to the outside wall.
I would like to know if this complies with building regs firstly?
Also a plumber I briefly spoke to said it depends on the floor damp membrane and how deep that is. How thick is the concrete likely to be before we find the membrane and is that something to strictly consider?
I haven't a camera at the moment to show you the loo but can anyone suggest a drawing website so I can draw it for you?
Thanks in advance to anyone interested.
Penny

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I've drawn it now and saved it to my documents but don't now how to post it on here! Sorry I'm an old dinosaur with this stuff.

You'd be better running a new pipe outside and then into the underground pipe rather than digging up concrete floors inside - IF it's possible - pictures perhaps? Has someone you know got a smartphone;)

Sponsored Links
Good idea going through the wall. Would we need to create a new manhole outside? The existing manhole is about 5ft away diagonally from the outside wall with terracotta pipework.
Penny

You could probably dig the full 5 feet and add a drain and soil pipe/stub stack in plastic. Connect to the existing manhole probably not need another new one. The works *should* be notified to Building control.

Thanks Nige,
It's a nuisance that the run is under 4" thick concrete as I was hoping we could do it on our own. Having had builders around for a couple of months I'm a bit reluctant to prolong the agony.... Maybe I could just ask them to cut the concrete with an angle grinder for me and we'd do the rest. I will let BC know as they have been paying us visits occasionally. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back