Mower rear wheel drags

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Getting the mower ready for next month.
When i put the mower away in November i remembered the following.
When pushing the mower the left wheel would drag along the floor a little then it would rotate normally as it should.
I watched this for a while & it only does this on the left wheel.
When i operate the bar & use the self propell it doesnt do it at all & works perfect.

Any idea what i should be checking or looking for.

Previous to this say 2 months before i did take the wheels off and clean them / supply some grease around the gear / pin etc.

Mower is Champion R484 and setup is as in photo

Attachments

• 1567.jpg
    1567.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 83
Sponsored Links
I`m not a lawnmower repairer so what happens if you operate the bar with the engine off? Does pulling the bar release something allowing it to freewheel?

You may be a victim of the usual plastic engineering here, but anyway....
Clean any crap out between the teeth of the large plastic driven wheel 401 and the small driving pinion 404.
When the wheel is popped back onto its spindle, excess float here causes the two gears to bind. Similarly if the bearing 405 is worn or dry.
Check that drive pins 416 are free to move in and out of their drilling and the drive dog 408 is clean inside and greased.
Your problem is, the two gears are binding slightly due to misalignment and at the end of the day you may have to live with it to a degree.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Is it then worth me "as i cant do this untill the weekend" order 2 of the plastic/nylon inserts marked as 405 in the attached photo.

I think 405 is a cheap flanged bearing, but I could be wrong. No harm on replacing them but you need to check the bushing on the main, large wheel if you can. I don’t know if the wheels are bushed, some are, some aren’t.

Sunny today so i took a look at this issue.
Up & down the path & it locked up then freed off.
I removed the wheel which left me with a plastic back plate & a metal gear.
I can turn this forever without any issue so all ok there.
Wasnt that dirty but noticed the nylon inserts were a touch sloppy & the 13mm nut holding the wheel on could on been tighter.

Ive ordered 4 new nylon inserts & also 4 bearings which look like they could replace the nylon inserts

Afternoon, Fault now fixed.
Grease is good for allowing items to move with next to no resistance BUT over do it & it creates drag.
This was my problem.

Look at the supplied photo you will see a cylindrical pin "BLUE ARROW"
This needs to move with no resistance or issue as it needs to move freely inside the cogged gear "GREEN ARROW"
The cogged gear is held in place on the back plate "RED ARROW" buy a circlip.

With all these items cleaned in soapy water with no grease as the wheels turn forward or backward the cylindrical pin falls either direction which either connects with the cogged gear or no engagement,so pin one way allows freewheell & pin the other way allows engagement.

All put back together & works perfect.

Thanks

PS
I removed the old nylon bush inserts & replaced them with bearings.
Now they will last a lifetime.

Attachments

• 1685.jpg
    1685.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Nice work!
Its worth stripping these parts out on a yearly basis if the machine gets a lot of work - there’s always lots of stray grass and grot gets trapped in there, usually with moisture too.
Some people like to grease the teeth of the plastic cogs too - which is a nonsense.

Thanks.

I also popped off the white nylon gears that mesh with the cogged gear & gave them also a good clean

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back