Rear wheel dragging AGAIN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Champion petrol mower with self propel rear wheels.
Pushing mower up the drive the other day I could see that the right wheel every now & then would drag / stutter then roll.
When using the mower with self propel I don’t notice any issues.I mean I’m not looking at the wheel but don’t feel any resistance.

I took it apart & with the geared cog & the cylindrical pin remove I pushed it up the drive & it was fine.
Put the geared cog & pin back in & it went back to its old tricks.

The geared cog & pin is the part the locks in place when self propel is in use.

I took it apart again & squirted some wd 40 on the inside of the geared cog & put it back together.

Problem solved for nearly a week but yesterday it’s doing it again.

It’s always the right hand wheel.

Any advice please.

Sponsored Links
Usually it’s a build up of dirt that causes this, but if it’s clean then it sounds like the gear cogs are out of mesh, perhaps due to the float around the central axle.
Officially the plastic gear in the wheel shouldn’t need lubricant but it is worth digging any dirt out of the gear teeth.
John (In Ibiza!)

If you remember the other week I had no drive as I had swapped gears to wrong side.
Well both metal gears were soaked & cleaned in petrol.
The inside of the gear is spotless & no dirt etc between teeth.
I will remove the plastic larger gear that meshes with the small metal gear & clean it up.
I don’t think that is the answer as using wd40 inside of small clogged gear was fine for a week.

I think your problems will be due to the bushes in the wheels being somewhat worn, allowing the gears to be out of alignment.
With the wheels off the ground, is there any sideways play?
John

Sponsored Links
Basically i think it was the white plastic large gear & changing for a spare i had its much better.
The wheels also have the metal bush fitted not the plastic type,i fitted these 2 years ago.

Looking up to the sky i can see that the white plastic gear is worn / angled one one edge.
This will be the answer.

Thanks

Same again this weekend where the right wheel drags / stutters when pushing the mower BUT im able to use self propel to do the job.
Just cant get from garage to trailer without the right wheel issue & scratching all the wheel tread off.

Im now thinking of just replacing the axle as ive looked at it several times now.

I supply 2 photo of axles available & i also supply photo of the cable i have fitted.

Do you see a difference in the 2 axles available ?

Attachments

• EaseUS_2023_07_10_09_37_09.jpg
    EaseUS_2023_07_10_09_37_09.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 30
  • EaseUS_2023_07_10_09_37_33.jpg
    EaseUS_2023_07_10_09_37_33.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 36
  • EaseUS_2023_07_10_09_41_34.jpg
    EaseUS_2023_07_10_09_41_34.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 25
All I can see is that the dog clutch mechanism - that makes the axle actually drive - has different return spring system.
You have chosen the correct drive cable.
Either should work - if they physically fit!
John :)

The items on eBay were 1 week delivery & I couldn’t wait that long.
I found a dead mower locally for £20 so I went & got it.

Rear axle swapped over in 30 minutes.

Looking at the axle I removed from my mower I could then see, but couldn’t see it when it was fitted a large plastic bush say 1 1/4 diameter.
One side had worn away creating the issue I had.

Now I can push it without the rear wheel jamming & dragging along the floor.

Thanks for the pointers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back