Mowing- what to do with branches?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just got myself a petrol mower and did a quick mowing 2 weeks ago. I have a big oak tree in the front garden and there are lots of fallen branches. I can hear the blade cracking up the branches when I mow over them, will this damage my mower? I felt the right choice that I got the steel deck version rather than plastic but still a bit worried that mowing together with the branches it will damage the mower.

What do people do with it? Do you ‘prepare’ the lawn before mowing - like collect the branches beforehand? My front lawn is a about 100sqm so I ‘d think it will take more time to collect the branches than actual mowing.

Sponsored Links
I don't think it will damage your mower. I would be more concerned with the possibility of the mower throwing a sharp twig or branch out and that piercing your leg or worse.

I mow everything in sight, branches, leaves, injured birds, old tramps who've fallen asleep, anything that's in the way, my time is far too important to spend with trivial things like moving things out of the way.

Sponsored Links
I don't think it will damage your mower. I would be more concerned with the possibility of the mower throwing a sharp twig or branch out and that piercing your leg or worse.

will need to keep the kid out of sight in that case...

I mow everything in sight, branches, leaves, injured birds, old tramps who've fallen asleep, anything that's in the way, my time is far too important to spend with trivial things like moving things out of the way.

:ROFLMAO: will need a bigger engine for that ..

I would be more concerned with the possibility of the mower throwing a sharp twig or branch out and that piercing your leg or worse.
Years ago I was at my brother's place and he was mowing the lawn with a cylinder type mower. We heard a noise and then a crack behind up. Turning round we saw the house window (c. 25' behind us) had a set of radial cracks in it. The mower must have picked up a stone and thrown it back with some force.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back