multi DC out put 12V in transformer wanted

Sponsored Links
Indeed.

How would you propose to test an MCB (particularly a fairly high-rating one)?

Does anyone try (dare :) ) to try doing it?

Kind Regards, John
With an MCB tester. Mine did up to 32A. Now sold.

Sponsored Links
... although I will say, through a non-standard test code, our PA Testers can output a sustained 25A for an earth bond test.
This is particularly satisfying when connected to a (dead) PC motherboard and the probe randomly drawn over the components :)

so it can go up in voltage as well as down
shame it dose not cover 19V and only upto 16, a very common voltage for laptops

so it can go up in voltage as well as down
Yep.
shame it dose not cover 19V and only upto 16, a very common voltage for laptops
That's just the "it", and you don't seem to be looking very hard A Google search for "laptop car charger" (with the quotes, so only looking for that exact phrase) gets over 600,000 hits, covering every output voltage under the sun - including many at 19V, which, as you say, is a very common voltage for laptops.

Kind Regards John

Yep.

That's just the "it", and you don't seem to be looking very hard A Google search for "laptop car charger" (with the quotes, so only looking for that exact phrase) gets over 600,000 hits, covering every output voltage under the sun - including many at 19V, which, as you say, is a very common voltage for laptops.

Kind Regards John
So you think i should get a laptop car charger and that should solve my issues with running it though an invertor right

So you think i should get a laptop car charger and that should solve my issues with running it though an invertor right
It's more a mattere of common sense than what I think.

If you want to charge/run your laptop from a 12V DC source, such as a car battery, then what better than a "laptop car charger" (which is obviously made for that exact use) ?

Kind Regards, John

What would concern me is what the supply from some of these devices would do to the laptop, aiui it is the charger that provides smoothing and surge suppression.

How much power would you actually save? A percentage of the laptop input which will be small numbers of watts, in a car/van you won’t notice unless you leave it charging all night when the best thing to do is plug it in at home.

A better quality invertor that doesn’t make any noise and allows use of the laptop charger is probably the best solution.

What would concern me is what the supply from some of these devices would do to the laptop,
The 'uncertainty' is no different from what it would be with a mains-powered laptop charger. In both cases, there is a range of brands and prices (virtually all made in China or other SE Asian countries
aiui it is the charger that provides smoothing and surge suppression.
When powered from a battery, 'surge suppression', in the usual sense, is not required. There could be an issue if it were connected to a car battery whilst the car's engine was running, but I don't think that is the OP's intention.

As for 'smoothing', that will primarily be provided by the laptop's battery itself - and, as above, any uncertainties about the output of the device will be no differing for one supplied by a battery than for one supplied from the mains.
A better quality invertor that doesn’t make any noise and allows use of the laptop charger is probably the best solution.
These things all are 'inverters'. As for 'better quality', better quality than what (I have mentioned no specific device)? As I said, there are countless products out there, with a whole range of brands, prices and specifications, and undoubtedly varying 'quality'. However,, as always, deciding which is 'better quality' is not straightforward - price is certainly not a very good guide.

Kind Regards, John

All invertors that i have seen and noisey and hot!
I'm not sure what you are regarding as "inverters".

All solid-state voltage converters (DC-AC, DC-DC, AC-DC or AC-AC) are effectively, or contain, 'inverters', so that includes all switched-mode power supplies, such as you use for charging/running laptops, mobile phones and coinless other things.

Fairly high-powered ones can get fairly warm, but none will be audibly 'noisy'.

Kind Regards, John

the AC-DC ones I have seen for sale all require a pc type fan for them to work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back