multi DC out put 12V in transformer wanted

the AC-DC ones I have seen for sale all require a pc type fan for them to work
I really don't know what you are talking about. Your 'laptop charger', 'phone charger' and thee little thingies that supply any number of bits of electronic kit are all "AC-DC converters" (e.g. 230V AC in, 5V DC out, for a phone charger) - but they don't have a (any sort of) fan, do they?

Sponsored Links
I really don't know what you are talking about. Your 'laptop charger', 'phone charger' and thee little thingies that supply any number of bits of electronic kit are all "AC-DC converters" (e.g. 230V AC in, 5V DC out, for a phone charger) - but they don't have a (any sort of) fan, do they?
no but the DC-AC invertors do

Sponsored Links
DC to AC inverters are normally much higher wattage units, than the much smaller one you suggest you want.
Indeed so - and, in any event, as I understand it, he wants DC to DC conversion, whether one calls that an 'inverter' (with rectification) or nor.

Kind Regards, John

I have a 150W AC to DC invertor and still lot of noise and heat from heat sink and fan

I have a 150W AC to DC invertor and still lot of noise and heat from heat sink and fan
For a start, it's not AC to DC conversion you need to run. charge your laptop from a 12V battery and, in any event such a thing would normally be called a "switch mode power supply', rathe than an 'inverter' ... and, if it's nosy that would be because it had a poor fan.

Furthermore, 150W is in a different league from what you would need for your laptop.

Furthermore, 150W is in a different league from what you would need for your laptop.
Unless it's an Alienware! ;)

Screenshot_20230927-193639_Chrome.jpg

RF or audio noise???
Well, I must admit that I had assunmed that he meant 'audible noise', in the normal everyday sense. If he meant 'electromagnetic noise' (of any frequency) then, as you imply, that would bee a very different matter!

Kind Regards, John

hear is what I have but mine is only half the size of it

it uses a lot of power just to run nothing though. the guy with the unit at the end of the street dose camper vans up and one thing he recommends is to use a house hold fridge with an invertor, he says you wire it off of the termostat of the fridge to the DC out put of the invertor so when the fridhe wants to run it will switch on power to the invertor and when the fridge wants to switch off it will switch off power to the invertor (how he dose this i do not know! dose the thermostat on the fridge put out a circuit or no circuit when it tries to switch on, what kind of swithc on the DC side he has in mind i dont know)

But the point is that the fridge will switch on and off at least 10 times a day and he knows that the invertors use to much power doing nothing

#edit# since my last topic was close for further disscusion about thermocouplers

will this now be closed because i mention the word thermostat?

it uses a lot of power just to run nothing though. the guy with the unit at the end of the street dose camper vans up and one thing he recommends is to use a house hold fridge with an invertor, he says you wire it off of the termostat of the fridge to the DC out put of the invertor so when the fridhe wants to run it will switch on power to the invertor and when the fridge wants to switch off it will switch off power to the invertor (how he dose this i do not know! dose the thermostat on the fridge put out a circuit or no circuit when it tries to switch on, what kind of swithc on the DC side he has in mind i dont know)

That makes some sense, but has absolutely nothing to do with your problem, of running a 19v laptop from a 12v battery.

The usual 12v fridge for a caravan or motorhome, is what is called an 'absorption fridge', they work on gas, mains, or 12v. They are not very efficient, but it is the only sensible way to run from three different sources. They are so inefficient, that when on 12v, they do not even need a thermostat - they draw current all the time. On mains, or gas they do use a stat.

More efficient, is a compressor fridge, but they normally only work on mains power - via an inverter. The problem is, they still need a relatively large amount of current, so cannot be kept running for long, on a 12v battery, unless the engine is running, so the motorhome, must be quickly plugged into the mains, on arrival on site.

The guy at the end of the street, must use a fairly substantial relay, to switch the dc high current supply to the inverter on and off.

hear is what I have but mine is only half the size of it .... it uses a lot of power just to run nothing though.
Particularly if it's fairly small, it must therefore get pretty hot when it is 'doing nothing'? Does it have a fan?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back